I have a ? And it may be tmi but i know yall can help!

edited February 2011 in Breastfeeding
So I'm totally planning on breastfeeding my baby girl when she is born which will be in may!:) Anyways me and my hubby was @ Wal-Mart buying stuff for our hospital bag and I know i need boob cream but the lanolin cream is $10 for a little tube! Is there anything else that would do the same thing? I really don't want cracked nippys! Lol
Thank-you so much mamas!

Comments

• Sorry but I have to say that Lanolin is magic in a $10tube.....sooo worth it..i breast fed for 14 months.
  • Thanks mama! That's why I had to ask! I knew there would be someone on here that would know!:) When Are you supposed to put it on?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oh ok! So I should start rubbing it in now? I'm so new at breastfeeding, I have 4 kids but I didn't really stick to it like I wanted. This time I'm sticking to It like a pro! Lol
  • Ya, i used it every day with my second, and I had very little tenderness. You only use a little bit at a time. Very little really. I think i used just over one bottle. And I fed for about 7mo. It really is worth it. I actualy got some at my baby shower. Neve had to buy any!
  • I stuck to my second baby til he weaned himself at six months. (probably because I was preggers and didn't know lol) anyway I used the lanisoh for sore nipples the first month but after that I never used it and never had sore or cracked nipples. And that little tube really does lasr a long time. You only use a little tiny bit each time.
  • Get it its worth it! You only need a pea size amount anyway each time. I still hv mine & my son is 19mnths old. Its also good for ess.chapped lips
  • So u should start using it before u gfive birth?...when should u start?
  • I agree $10 lano stuff fantastic..
  • Thanks yall! I love this app!
  • It is worth the price but check Burlington, it might of just been a sale in my area but they had it for less. But everyone ^ was right you only need like a pea sized amount. :)
  • Go to their website..you may be able to request a free sample! One thing my mother suggested that worked for me was toughening the nipples. When you shower, rub your nipples with a wash cloth. I started toughening them at about 4 months. I never had sore nipples or cracked nipples.
  • The lanolin nipple cream is the only stuff that is safe for breastfeeding that you don't have to wash ur nipples really good with. Its safe for baby so if u still have some on ur breast its ok! And @Outlaw_Sphinx is right, toughening them before hand, or rolling them if you have shy nipples does help a lot!
  • I'd definitely say its worth the money I had bought something else that was less costly and had more product
    I winded up getting a crack from natural bacteria in my daughter's mouth in one of the cracks and I got mastitis in my right breast worse pain ever I had to get two incisions to drain the infection
    So this time around I will definitely be buying that tiny tube
  • A little goes a long way. Its also non toxic for the baby. You will need it trust me.
  • The hospital will be able to give you a bunch of samples when you have your little baby
  • If you put it on while your pregnant, you really only need to use it in the last couple weeks of pregnancy. Just to make sure you start out with healthy, well moisturized nipples. It does help!
  • Lanolin is magic in a $10 tube. Also don't wash your nipples with soap, it'll dry them out.
  • I had no idea about that with my first. So I never bought any or looked for it. But they gave me some at the hospital so I didn't end up needing to buy any.
  • My mom told me to roughen my nipples in front of the nurse and the nurse freaked and said not to cuz it could start your milkflow too early. They also gave me a sample at the hospital and I didn't need to buy any it was plenty. I only needed it a few times.
  • Crack nipples is the least of ur worries. Make sure you stand the sourness for the first week then things will the easier. I did lanch my baby right so that first week she even made me bleed; just a little. So was I did is ice pack my nipple when is was almost time to feed. my nipples did not look great and I didn't apply the oitment, but ur body does its work and heals everything. Now I can't even tell I breastfeed, and I did it for 18 months
  • After reading about the lanolin, I ran to the store and bought some!! It was only $8 and its amazing!! My nipples are so much better!! Thank u all for the help!! I hope the hospital gives me some because i'll probably will need more by that time!!
  • They should give you like a sample tube of it at the hospital