Home births

edited February 2011 in Giving birth
What exactly do I need to do to plan a home birth? I'm 7 weeks with our first so I have plenty of time to sort through things. Also, any tips on convincing the bf to agree to this? Lol

Comments

• Look up a midwife in your area (unless you want it to be an unassisted birth, then you wont need a midwife) you'll need to order a birthing kit, if you'd like you can a birthing tub/pool, get the papers to file for a birth certificate from vital statistics. Google what your state requires for a birth certificate/home birth. Every state is different. Tell him that its your body, you want to be as comfortable as possible, being in an hospital isn't comfortable at all, you want this to be a memorable experience& be at ease. The best/place to do so is the comfort of your own home. Not a lot of insurances will pay for homebirth, so it most likely will be out of pocket. Let me know how it goes. I had a homebirth with my 3rd baby, it was the most beautiful experience.
  • If your in the UK just speak to your midwife they are all for homebirths and will discuss everything with you.
  • If you have netflix, get him to watch the movie "the business of being born" it is very informative about the differences in home and hospital births. If he is still not sure, look for a birthing center in your area. We don't have any here, but there are some around