Baby slow weight gain/pumping

edited July 2011 in Breastfeeding
So baby lost 12% of her birth weight. I have to have her at birth weight by monday or they will make me supplement. I feed her 24/7. Everyhalf hour. Taking fenugreek and eating more...well she skipped a feeding during our nap today so i tried pumping...still only get half an ounce. I barely leak.....im worried im not making enough. How much should i be pumping a week and a half after birth?? Pediatrician says her mouth is small n my niopples r large. I also had peircings for 10 years...maybe i need to go back to the lact consultant. I wanna give in to formula sibe i go to work soon. Hubbys mad cuz i bought a pump but im not pumping much! I dont want her hungry. I have gicen 2 bottles n ahe sucked it down...ugh help.

Comments

• try and pump as much as you can cause they say the more you pump or feed her the more milk youll produce but im no lact consultant nor have i had my baby yet so if i were you i would go up to the hospital tomorrow and see the lact consultant and talk to her for advice but thats just me lol
  • you might that to do half and half until she gets a little bigger... try drinking one dark beer and then pumping... supposely dark beer help produce more milk google it
  • I'm having the same problem. I called the lactation consultant today. She told me to ice pack it for a little while then immediately put a warm compress on. Then after that, I pumped. I got a little bit more then I had but still not a lot yet. I think you have to just keep the routine. I'm going to see the consultant in her office tmrw. She's going to help me with it all.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Definitely call your lactation consultant, if breast feeding is a priority for you. The amount that you pump isn't the same as the amount that your baby gets when she feeds, so don't be concerned about that. But her lack of weight gain can cause a lot of problems. Your lactation consultant can make sure it's not her latch and that she's not tongue tied and can suggest things to help your supply. She can also tell you the best ways to supplement without hurting your breastfeeding. Good luck, hun! But do keep in mind, if you have to supplement, it's just what's best for your baby, it doesn't mean you're any less of a Mama!!
  • Ok @jcmommy . Im going to call tomorrow. Its so frustrating. Hope their help is free. With my other bf baby i poured like a faucet..prior to nipple peircing and i was way younger. I really am trying...she feeds so often id think supply would go up not down. So exhausting....
  • Asparagus and oatmeal works they have that mothers milk tea that works this is my first time breast feeding and I tried those things and they helped my milk increase also when the baby feeds off u they get more milk out of u than a pump will get plus drink lots of water hope this helps I was giving my baby a lil formula in the beginning when she still seemed hungry
  • I know this doesn't help but I thought it might make u feel better! I was producing plenty but my daughter tummy wasn't do well on breastmilk no matter how I changed my diet. So I started giving her half gentlease enfamil formula and half breastmilk. She loves it! She went from screaming all night because her tummy hurt to sleeping 5 hrs at a time at night! Doing half and half isn't a bad thing because she's still benefit from my milk and formula!!

When I wanted to produce more I pumped right after I fed my daughter. I went from producing 1oz too 3oz!!! Good luck hun
  • they checked for tongue tie...shes ok just a small mouth doc said. I drink water constantly. I wasnt eating as much as i should so im trying to pay attention to that. Some nights she sleeps several hours...of course i dont wake up either. Its hard with 3 other kids at home. Least hubby is supportive.
  • I am trying oatmeal and i have a fenugteet milk thistle blessed thistle supplement. Im going start pumping more...my cousin told me to wait but im so worried.
  • Ugh. planned to pump this morning. She has nurse 10/15 mins on each side twice in an hour. On round 3....ill never leave the house at this rate. I really wanna give her a bottle. Hubby is making me feel like crap about it. Says im probably not pumping right and that the doc has me upset. Im so depressed over it. He just cares about money....well i say then quit smoking! My pump wasnt that expensive.
  • My babe lost 9% of her birth weight and I wasn't producing much either (I also have large flat nipples) so on the weekend I had q beer, used my pump, and the next day I pumped over 3 ounces! She gained that 9% back and then some in two days. I had to also work on the latch, by slightly pinching my boob so it came to more of a point and hold it like that while she eats.

Try not to stress; the nurses made me feel like a bad mom cause she had lost so much, but it won't help stressing. Hang in there hun, it'll be okay!
  • Yeah its all that..and i only have 2 weeks left of maternity leave. Ill be taking her to work. I cant feed her this often at the office. Im the only one there most the time. I need to be able to pump and its not working out plus weight loss. Wish hubby understood
  • Ok well my in laws came in handy...told hubby to lay off if i choose to supplement...i decided that bottle was best. I kept trying to pump and only produced 1 oz combined. I didnt want her to be hungry. I believe my peircings affected my ability to breastfeed due to scar tissue. She latched great....i loved it but i wanted baby girl to be happy and grow.
  • I have the same problem. My baby went from 8lbs 15oza birth weight down to 8lbs 4oz in 2 weeks...but he was checked today and since i started to supplement formula last thursday he's at 8lbs 12oz! I was feeling depressed as well because i didnt even know he was losing weight. :( the mothers milk works good, but you have to drink atleast 5 cups a day. I need to work on eating more as well since i guess im not,producing nutritious milk as the dr told me.