we dont normally order hcg levels w first round of bloodwork?

edited February 2011 in First Trimester
Ok ladies, is this right? I have no history of mc or anything, but I just got the vibe that they automatically did that based off all you ladies know yours. Maybe I'm wrong. The reason I'm asking is bc this morning I called my doc. I had some bleeding last night when wiping and as strong as I wanted to be I was freaking out a little. So anyways, I'm not bleeding any more but called anyway and I asked them about my bloodwork. How can they compare levels if they don't take an initial reading? Gahh!!

Comments

• U hope everything is okay. My Dr did check levels so idle why urs wouldn't. Are u going in for them to check u out?
  • I was wondering the same thing. I gave like 8 vials of blood thinking one of the is to see the the levels. They never called me and told me results, so I have no idea where I stand. My 2nd appt isn't till the 28th!
  • I don't think they normally do the hcg tests unless they have a reason to. I went to the dr and I asked her if I could do the hcg test. She did send me to the lab that day. I just need to be sure.
  • I never even got any blood taken. :/
  • My doc automatically checks hcg and progesterone
  • @kitshay your doc might wait until later to do it for whatever reason, but I might call and ask :)

I don't know if they did or didn't, the nurse just told me "we don't normally unless ..."
    I feel a little better. I got a call from the nurse, she's talking to the doc and calling me back.
  • @cali83 so the hcg test is something separate they do from all the other tests? This is my first pregnancy, so im clueless LOL. Out of all that blood I gave at my first visit, they never told me what all they were testing for. I just assumed one of them was for hcg.
  • @katlilly how far along r u? I'm 6 wks & had same thing happen. My doc had my levels from my 1st visit so they arnt me to lab again & my levels went up like crazy from 400- 6900!! Doc said bleeding was due to the sac implanting to uterus. It eased both of us not to have any worries :) good luck
  • Hopefully. My next appointmet is March 7th. I'll be 13 weeks then.
  • @lwilliams17 I know right...all that blood! I guess it's a good thing that they werent concerned to do it. But still...

@mommy_of_4 I'm waiting for them to call me back
  • Well good luck I hope everything is okay!
  • My doc doesnt check hcg or progesterone unless there is risk of miscarriage. Reason being, levels are different in every woman and in every pregnancy. Levels even vary by time of day. If you would like thre test done, just ask. :)
  • Don't worry...if something was wrong like mc u would be bleeding very heavy...at least that's what my doc said
  • @mommae
    @mommy_of_4
    they are having me go in to check progesterone and hcg levels, also going yo do an ultrasound. Ughh!! Im excited to hear a heart beat but I didn't want to with out my honey.
    Thanks for all your best wishes! Xoxo
  • Let me know how it goes! %%-
  • @katlilly-that's exciting you get to hear the hb!! Good luck to you:)
  • Ihad the same spotting so I went in over a week ago had my blood drawn and again two days later... They called said everything was ok but I have to go back today and get more blood drawn.. I am confused... They also made an appt for a u/s on the 25th but I dont know why theu wouls have to take blood agais if everything was ok
  • @lovethemoon they probably just want to make sure everything is 100% good luck!
  • They do the blood levels like that because they increase daily...just being safe & making sure u r where u should be. Try not to stress too much & best wishes to u & baby :)
  • Thank you... I am waiting... My levels were 3309 and then 5509 and now taking again... It makes me worry something is wrong since they are not at a drastic change
  • Hope all is well! Keep us posted..sending positive thoughts your way..
  • I know same thing happen to me they told me they don't do it even though they were allready sending me to do glucose on first trimester I taught they would want to check to b a hundred percent sure
  • What is the hcg test? I've never heard of it. It's been 8 years since I was pregnant last.
  • if you had 8 vials taken, you just had a standard preggo bloodwork draw, everything from glucose lvl to std checks, toxoplasmosis, etc. hcg draw is different, and is only one vial.
  • Just got back. I just had blood drawn to check my progesterone. They still aren't checking hcg. Whatever, guess they know best. I go in for an us in the morning.
  • My ob/gyn doesn't normally check HCG levels either. Apparently HCG levels vary greatly so she doesn't really use it diagnostically. They just used a urine stick pregnancy test to verify I do have some HCG floating around. They do, however, check estrogen & progesterone levels, hemoglobin, hematocrit, blood type, and markers in the blood for several STDs, including HIV. I'm an RN so I peeked at the lab order sheet while the lab tech was taking 7 vials of blood from me. Never had so much blood taken in my life except when I was donating blood!
  • The tests need to be 48 hours apart to compare; they're supposed to double or close to it in that time. So if you we're spotting on thursday they'd take again on saturday or monday; looking for double on saturday and double twice by monday. How it helps and good luck to you.