I have 2 Q's

edited July 2011 in First time moms
My little man turned 3 months today, my Q is....When do you start them on cereal. Our pediatrician said no food till he's 6months. But I see a lot of moms puting there Lo on cereal and or juices by 3 months. And and 1 more Q none food related....When can I take him swimming? I learned to surf last year and I'm missing the beach. We live 15 mins from 2 of them... :)

Comments

• I would follow your ped's recommendation. It used to be people started around 4 months, but if baby is getting enough from formula or milk they don't need anything else. We took my daughter to the beach around 3 months, but she hated it. We didn't have any fun. It's fine to take him if you can keep him out of the sun and he won't get overheated, but it's probably a better idea to get grandma or someone to watch him, so you can enjoy the beach!
  • @laura536 ya our ped was pretty atonement that we not start food till 6 months but I was just curious what every one eles is doing. And he loves the tub, we take baths all the time. Maybe ill just stick to the community pool for now. Thanks for the responce girlie. ;)
  • i would say the water is ok for him. but be careful because with the sun, babies his age not being able to have sunscreen yet and the temp of the water might upset him and make him too cold.
    we didn't start cereal until 6 months. it has to do with baby's ability to swallow and their reflexes. i would wait it out. i have also heard that it can cause premature acid reflux. just trust your pediatrician.
  • @survivormommie3 Holy crap balls Batman, I didn't now about the SUN SCREEN......Why didn't I know? Thank you for telling me I had no idea you couldn't put sun screen on them. :(
  • You're welcome! : ) The 6 month thing is just new from the last couple of years, so there's still a lot of mixed info out there about when to start. And some peds will let you start earlier, depending on your baby, but in general it's 6 months.

I did ask my dr about the sunscreen thing and she said it's mostly because the companies can't say for sure whether it's bad for small babies and you have to keep it off their hands and feet.
  • I feel awfull that I didn't now this.. Just when I think I have this mom thing down. Lol! I guess its trial and error with the fist child. ;)