who else is ttaking the 17p Progesterone Shots! or has taking it

edited July 2011 in Health
i am taking the 17p shots because i had my daughter early i went into labor at 32 weeks with her and they stopped my labor and then i had her at 35 weeks . i was just wondering how all this has effected the other mommys i am almost 33 weeks im having bh contractions and for the moms that have taking it how it took a role on them when did you deliver before your shots was over or how long after the shots stopped im hoping that i last till my shots stop at 37 weeks

Comments

• I was on them w/ my second after delivering my 1st @ 29/6. I got them til 35 weeks and I delivered @ 40/1 (water broke @ 40)!
  • @Math_Mommy I HAVE HEARD EVERYONE HAS DELIVERED AFTER THE SHOTS BUT I JUST KEEP THINKING I WILL BE THE ONE TO DELIVER BEFORE LOL
  • Iv been on the shots since week 27. My dr said I would b on them until week 35. He's hoping that will keep her in until the c section at 39 weeks
  • I still take the pills. My doctor said its the same, I am only 19 weeks so far though.
  • I HAVE TO STAY ON THE SHOTS TILL IM 36WEEKS AND 6 DAYS
  • @ll10 I HAVE NEVER HAD OF THE PILLS IT WOULD BE ALOT EASIER ON MY BUTT LMAO BUT THEN AGAIN I WOULDNT PROBABLY TAKE THEM RIGHT
  • I've only met one person who delivered while on the shots. There were signs w/ her though (cervix shortening @ 19w, got a cerclage and delivered @ 25w).

My doctor who put me on 17-p did a bunch of research on them in med school. So, I drilled him incessantly for info/statistics. He said that a woman w/ no additional risk factors (other than a previous preterm delivery) has a 20% chance of delivering early. With 17-p started weekly BEFORE CONTRACTIONS BEGIN (usually 16-18 weeks) the chance of another preterm delivery goes down to about 8%. There is no evidence that they prevent labor beyond week 34. However, many docs are using them through week 36 because they have few side effects.
  • @Math_Mommy thanks That makes my feel a lot better
  • Another fun fact (however useless it may be...lol): Half of this 60% success rate (1-[.08/.20]=.60) is attributable to the "placebo effect". Also, nobody knows WHY it works...and this is the best science we have to prevent premature birth!?!
  • Glad to help! I was just looking at your original post. Try not to be too concerned with the b/h. I got them starting around week 22 while I was on the 17-p. Unfortunately, when I was good and ready to give birth (week 37), all contractions stopped!

I did experience some possible side effects (although everyone says "every pregnancy is different...so its hard to tell if they were effects of the shots). I had horrible heartburn when I had none with my first. I also gained more weight eating less food while on 17-p. I read that progesterone slows the digestive process, so I blamed my large weight gain on the shots...lol