bringing home baby concerns??

edited July 2011 in September 2011
I have a 1.5 yr old pup. I've already trained him to stay out of Baby Braxtons room and away from his swing downstairs... next we're walkig with the stroller.
How are you other moms preparing puppy for baby?

Comments

• I have to prepare my cat! I have the babies crib and swing up and the cat keeps jumping in them! im scared the cat will jump in the crib with the baby in there. ill probably just end up closing the door so the cat cant get in!
  • I already have my dog trained to behave around children. I also have him trained not to jump and worked with him walking by a stroller.
    I plan on having my husband bring home a receiving blanket after my baby is born so the dog and cat can sniff it and get used to the baby's smell before coming home. I'll have hubby put it in my dog's bed.
    Once baby is home I'll be carrying a pouch of treats around so that when my dog shows good behavior around the baby he is rewarded. Like laying quietly at my feet, or smelling the baby, and when the baby cries and if my dog shows signs of being nervous have him come by, get him to lay down and give him a treat so he doesn't associate the sound with something bad.

@dani2313 a trick you can use is taking cardboard the size of the crib mattress and putting sticky tape on it so when the cat jumps into the crib it encounters the tape. and every time it gets in the swing you can squirt it with a water bottle. They learn pretty quickly... or most do... mine doesn't but thats because she's a lil spit fire
  • I spray my cat with a spray bottle every time she goes somewhere she's not allowed...she eventually stays away
  • I'm having serious conversations with Pushkin. Don't think it's all sinking in yet, though. He needs more time... /:-)
  • edited July 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @dani2313, @littlefae and @kalasthename hit the nail on head with the squirt bottle! I don't have a cat any more, but before my husband and i moved in together my car would destroy my moms kitchen table, the squirt bottle let him off of it. However, they do have problems with him sneaking in the kitchen cupboards when no one is looking. Lol.

@firsttimemommytobe, i feel you on being nervous about your brothers dog!
    My dog is so do good with my husband and me and he's getting better with behaving around new people but anything small that moves he freaks out! Not mean, but overly excited. And he gets in this state of mind that nothing is going to stop him from playing.

I've read to do the blanket thing that @littlefae mentioned and i also read to have the animals used to baby being in the house before you actually introduce them. I hope everything goes well for myself and all you other ladies!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • that card board on crib thing sounds like a great idea! ha ha i just picture the cat getting sprayed after getting caught lmao!! :-)) sorry im easily amused
  • @dani2313 I had a problem with a cat and my son.. even though the cat was great with him and let him drag him around (son was about 1 1/2) he accidently got locked in his room at nap time once and all of a sudden I hear screaming only to go in and have the cat run out.. well I guess he jumped into the crib and idk what happened but my son had a big gash on his cheek!! Still has the scar today @ 7 years old. Ever since then, NO CATS IN KIDS BEDROOMS!!!
  • I have a 5 month old American Eskimo and she is pretty well behaved so far. I've been stoller training for 3 days now and shes got the hang of it. She is allowed in the baby's room but can only sit or lay on the floor. She's very sensitive and loving so Im sure she'll do fine.... Hopefully :) she's also good with my 4yr old for the most part except when they are acting like siblings and fighting or running around.
  • @firsttimemommytobe that's sad! Poor pup! I walk Jacob 2 miles every day!! But it never fails if someone comes to visit or the stray cat slips through my yard he gets the crazy eye and is unstopable!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @forsttimemommytobe, no worries! Im sure its stressful. Children are so much less active these days than they used to be, but its not entirely the childs fault. Parents should enforce activity.
    @mariahaucoin77, I've heard to do that! I hope the husband will cooperate. He hates my dog. Lol. When he was only 4 months old he ate his oakleys. They've never made up.