baby sleep.. need help =/ *update bottom*

edited July 2011 in Sleep
So my 3 almost 4 week old daughter is having trouble sleeping in her bassinet. I'm guilty of sleeping with her at night because she will sleep on me for a good 2 to 3 hours. Any advice how to let her know she needs to sleep in her bassinet and not on me? She's also been up since 1030 this morning and its 4pm and I know she's tired, she has dark circles under her eyes and is crabby but won't stay asleep..
Any advice on sleeping or opinions would be awseome.. this is getting hard

So emily fell asleep finally at 6pm and woke up at 740pm.. should I be concerned or just keep an eye on things? My mom told me to write down her feedings, diapers wet/soiled, sleep time just in case.. should I call her doctor tomorrow morning? I just feel so bad for my baby girl :(

Comments

• I would give her a nice warm bath feed her and just put her in the basinnet til she cried herself to sleep.(don't let her get to ditressed) she has just gotten use to your comfort when sleeping. They learn from day 1.it maybe hard to hear her cry but she will get use to it and know its bed time now.
  • I sleep my son on his side and he sleeps for about 3hrs. He doesn't stay asleep on his back.
  • Maybe some warm.milk....wat type of milj are u feeding her?
  • Try getting her into a routine. I bathe my doll, then feed and let her stay up for an hour or so, then I swaddle her up as tight as I can and put her down. Have you tried swaddling or a binky/pacifier? Babies have an instinct to suck so maybe that might help?
  • @jellybeaning11 I do try baths and its a hit and miss. In the begining she slept in her bassinet just fine.. but I'm going to try your idea because I usually don't let her cry to long.

@jcmommy my daughter has started to sleep on her side when I hold her lately.. do you sleep with your son or how do you sleep him on his side?

@Fashion_Junkey91 I breastfeed

@BkE913 I recently got her a pacifier.. she's a hit and miss with that but usually likes it. She always kicks her blankets off her feet and hands.. she's a little heater and got my bd body temp. So its hard to swaddle because she hates having her feet under blankets but maybe if I wrap her tighter (I wrap kind loose) it will help..
  • Even try rubbing her back a bit while she is in the bassinet to help settle her and hopefully she won't cry for too long.
  • Well get this.. bd comes home ad lays down with her until she's asleep and she goes in herbassinet and stays asleep no problem.. blah
  • Ahahaha she's a lil daddys girl!
  • get that baby on a schedule now!!! my daughter did the same thing and i screwed myself over for the next 4 years!!!! (my oldest 2 are 15 months apart) this baby will be taught to sleep in her bassinet at night and crib for naps. unless she is ancy and sleeps best in her crib, im ok with that. but i can't deal with getting up 3-7 times a night every night for the next few years. no way! I learned with my first two. haha. i thought *no harm, spoil them now before they get to the age they can swoon me*...WRONG! have you tried putting baby in their crib? or maybe propping up the top of the bassinet so baby is angled? My bassinet does that, so that's why i ask. are you laying baby on their belly or back in the bassinet? if you are laying baby on their back and then she sleeps best on you on her belly, well, i would guess the belly is her sleeping position. i know SIDS disapproves, but that's just a guess. You'll have to teach her to sleep on her back then. i would lay her in her crib/ bassinet for naps after she is fed and changed and awake for about 30-45 minutes. that way she will have to go to sleep. she might be too stimulated
  • Just kidding she stayed asleep for like ten minutes.. she hasn't slept more then an hour since 1030 this morning and my baby girl looks sooo tired :(
  • @survivormommie3 I will have to try proping her up alittle in her bassinet. I'm trying hard to keep her in her bassinet for sleeping but she startsto wail after a couple minutes of crying..
  • Poor baby! My bassinette had a vibrate function, which worked sometimes. She also liked white noise, like the noise from a vacuum cleaner or a fan, that would put her right to sleep!
  • try putting her to sleep in her bassinet over one of ur shirts or night gowns. it has ur smell so it could help comfort her to sleep. lay the shirt and tuck it in the sides and lay her in there while u pat her or rock her to sleep maybe w one hand under her head til she does. i did it with my son when he was a baby and it helped.
  • @laura536 I know I feel so bad for her because I want her to sleep but now on me or her dad..she has a vibrate to and I tried and it kept her calm but not falling asleep. And we have a fan in the room to.. :(

@btrflyqt85 I'm going to try that and hopefully it helps.. I'm trying everything right now. Its 6pm and she hasn't gotten more then a total of an hour of sleep since 1030 am..
  • She's just laying in her bassinet now... its like she's fighting to stay awake..
  • shes probably restless and from being so tired shes resisting. try giving her a bath and wat i mentioned. i hope it helps.
  • @btrflyqt85 thanks I hope so too
  • After I feed and Burp and he falls asleep, I lay him in his bassinet on his side. I hold my hand on his arms so he can't wave them around and he goes to sleep.
  • I would put her in her carseat and go take a ride, that would put her out for a few hrs. Just let her finish her nap in the car seat. :)
  • Ya I'd try the car seat :)
  • @Jaime77 @Kingsmama that was going to be my next thing to try.. once I'm done feeding her and burping I'm going to try it.

@jcmommy I will have to try that.. anything right now will help