Omphalitis (umbilicus infection) & umbilical issues

edited July 2011 in Babies
I took my 3 week old to the doctor on Tuesday because her belly button looked a little red, oozy and like it is still a little open. (Her umbilical cord fell off at 10 days old, but at her 2 week appointment there was still some residual stump material in the navel but Doctor said that everything looked fine, and it was ok to bath her.).

Her doctor agreed that it looked like it is still a little open, but she didn't want to seal it without getting an ultrasound due to the oozing. Got the ultrasound yesterday, and the results came back today. She has been diagnosed with Omphalitis, for which she has been prescribed an antibiotic. She also had an ultrasound that shows that there is still a tubal path from her bladder to her naval, for which we have to see a urologist.

Have any other mommies had babies with these issues? Just curious if there is someone out there I can bounce some questions off of...

Comments

• I hope everything turns out ok!
  • edited July 2011
    I dont know anything about it. My son had a hernia in his belly button but not the same thing. :/ hope everythings ok!
  • Thanks so much @Jaime77 & @maymommy11!

Google can be a helpful tool or a devastating weapon to the nerves of a mommy!!! I am hoping that some of these things are simply precautionary, but UUUGGGH.... My mind is racing.
  • Yes google is helpful but scarey. :(can you ask your babies dr for more information on it?
  • I know! I googled it bc I never heard of it. Don't go to that negative place tho.,Jaden had jaundice so when I googled and read deafness and retardation are the worse case I was freaking out. Good luck I'm sure she will be fine :)
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks, Ladies! @maymommy11 & @Jaime77 - I thought I would provide a quick follow up, just in off chance that some one uses the search feature for some of these "key words" in the future.

*Sorry it's so long!*

The omphalitis has really been a non issue. The pediatrician prescribed antibiotics and I cleaned it 4 times daily with alcohol and the infection appears to be gone and the naval now closed.

I have now visited with the urologist I have a lot more information.

My daughter has what they call a Patent Urachus. The urachus usually closes off after birth and becomes a ligament. In cases where it doesn't close, surgery is recommended to ensure that fluid is in the urachus doesn't turn in bacteria and create an infection. The urologist said that it's very rare, but in some cases a patent urachus could even turn into cancer later in life if the fluid is left there and the urachus remains open.

So next week my daughter has to go to Cooks Childrens Hospital for a VCUG. Basically they will use a catheter to put dye into her little bladder and take an x-ray to make sure that nothing is flowing from the bladder through the urachus. If not, then we go back to get another ultrasound in 6 months just to make sure everything is good. If so, then she will have to have surgery to remove it.

I hate that they will be sticking my little baby... but I hope and pray that it comes back that it is now closed and no surgery is needed.
  • I'm glad u updated! When u posted this Jaden's onesies started having crusty green discharge on them, no redness around the belly button but I of course was concerned. His 1mo check up was tues and I said could it be omphalitis..his doc said it's not but to clean it really well with alcohol..it's getting better :) i'm glad I have pregly with this baby.

Keep us updated on her progress, praying no surgery!!! Routine shots are hard enough to watch our babies go through
  • @Jaime77 - Thanks! Glad that Jaden doesn't have it, and the alcohol will make a huge difference. Everything I've read says that the risks for infection has increased since doctors have reverted back to dry cord care. I guess it's a good thing I didn't clean it with alcohol anyway, because we may have not found out about this other issue.

How was his check up? I didn't realize he was so close in age to my daughter. They are just 3 days apart.
  • I hope that procedure goes well with your daughter. Will you be allowed to go with her?
  • Thank god u found out! His appt. besides his thrush and a possible hernia everything went well. He gained 2lbs,nearly 2 inches! She was playing with his testicles and said he may have a hernia so next month's checkup she'll see if anything changed.
  • @maymommy11 - thank you! Yes, I will be able to go back with her. Thank goodness... Or they would need to sedate me! I would be a total wreck.
  • @Jaime77 - Doesn't break your heart but make you proud when they have such significant growth at appointments!? Wow! Sounds like he's doing well... Hopefully there is nothing to worry about and he doesn't have a hernia. I will say a prayer for him!
  • I would be a wreck too!! I dont even like his dr visits. When they push on his stomach to feel his organs. I just wanna smack his dr.im praying everything goes as planned.