Preterm Labor & Procardia

edited July 2011 in Labor
I'm 35 weeks today, but have been having on and off contractions for a few weeks now. Tuesday I was having period like cramps, I went into my clinic and I was dialated to a 1 and "very soft and stretchy." I have a history of preterm labor/birth (went into labor with my twins at 30 weeks, hospitalized until they were born at 33). Tuesday my doc gave me a script for procardia to keep my contractions away and hopefully keep me from dialating further. Tuesday and Wednesday it worked great, but yesterday I started having contractions an hour to an hour and a half before time to take it. Then, last night, I took it at 11 and was still contracting at almost 1 AM! I called OB and they had me take another one which git rid of them or made them weak enough I waa able to fall asleep. Today I've taken it and I still am feeling contractions and the pressure is worse.
Long story short (Sorry), has anyone had procardia stop working for contraction management?

Comments

• No experience, but I'm bumping this
  • Thats odd. I'm on procardia for high bp after delivery due to preeclampsia
  • Anything that is supposed to suppression contractions doesn't always work. Maybe ask your doctor to try a different script.
  • @maranda3 Procardia will stop working when you have a certain level of the medicine built up in your system. It is hard to increase the dose due to the risk of lowering your blood pressure to much. Call your ob they may have to change your medicine. Good Luck...hope the pains stop!
  • @cetheridge yup, it doubles use for bp and contractions, like magnesium.
    @ll10 we've tried brethine too, procardia is the only thing that did work. Boo
  • @babynewyear2012 thanks for the input!! I'm in now so hopefully we can get them under control for at least 2-3 more weeks.