stuck between a hard place and a rock..vaccines

edited August 2011 in Parenting
When i was 15 i was diagnosed with guillian barre syndrom and now i can't receive shots or vaccines unless its a life threatening situation. It worries me now having a baby bc i kno i need to protect myself to protect my baby. I'm also terrified of her getting shots bc that is why i got GBS. that or a surgery i had the same year but either way i have to take all precautions i can. I don't know how to decide to let her be vaccinated. And when it comes to shots that aren't necessary for school but wilp protect her from harm i feel like I'm dangering her. How do i come to terms with this? How do i decide what to do?

Comments

• Talk to your doctor and/or a Pediatrician. Id also suggest doing tons of research, it will be overwhelming because there is just so much information and opinions out there
  • Wuld definantly talk with ur pediatrician about an c Wat his/her thoughts are on it .
  • tons and tons of research. also talk with her pediatrician. you can try to vaccine for the crucial things, and then avoid others, vaccinate, or completely avoid it altogether
  • I have never heard of Gillian barre syndrome. If you don't mind me asking, what is it?

I would definitely talk to your pediatricians about your concerns, maybe an online support group for gbs? Maybe just avoid the vaccine that you feel caused you illness? Sorry I'm no help here. :(
  • Also because it happened to you doesn't mean it will happen to your baby. My husband is deathly allergic to penacillen and tried to refuse to let the toddler take it when he had an ear infection. . . I put a stop to that.
    Talk to your Pedi get his input and then do what you feel best for your child
  • gbs only effects 1/2 out of 100k people. . .pregnancy could also be a trigger *mayo clinic* so there is a very small chance your baby would be similarly affected
  • my whole family is not vaccinated and have had no issues, I have no idea if we will vaccinate this baby or not. good luck mama it is a complicated choice to make.
  • @mrs_shu @mrz_jackson2anpreggo @survivormommie3 thank you! I guess i didn't really think about his pediatrician. Lol

@conreeaght its an auto immune disorder where your immune system mistakes your nervous system as a disease so it attacks it and kills it. It made me temporary paralyzed. It shuts down all your organs. I was lucky to live. After they treat it it usually doesn't come back but you have to take precautions like no shots and no surgery unless its for life threatening reasons

@beaded_bunny you're right
    It just scares me. And my husbanda immune system is amazing.
  • @ll10 thank you. I gtta lot of thinking to do.
  • Its a scary thing and I'm sorry you have had to live through and live with this