Pap & HPV Question

edited August 2011 in Health
About 2 weeks ago, I was told a have the strain of HPV that causes genital warts after having a vaginal exam. The doctor was able to actually see the warts, and I can feel them. They are, without a doubt, there. But, at my appointment last Tuesday, I was told my Pap came back normal. :/ Wouldn't HPV cause an abnormal Pap? As far as I understand, HPV is abnormal cells "down there", and a Pap is supposed to check for abnormal cells, right? This has been bothering me for almost 4 days, and the only logical explaination I can come up with is that I don't have HPV.

On another note, I pushed for the GBS test after reading about it in a pregnancy book, and thank God I did, because I did test positive for it. :) One less thing I have to worry about!

Comments

• HPV doesn't always cause abnormal cells on your cervix. I had the strain that caused the abnormal cells, but I've never had genital warts. It all just depends on the type and there are over 100 types.
  • @mariahaucoin77 Right, HPV will pretty much cure itsself, but THAT quick? I got my last Pap (before my most recent one) a little over a year ago. It came back fine. I never had a breakout or any signs of warts until about a month and a half ago, they were diagnosed about 2 weeks ago, when I got my Pap that came back normal. The warts, or whatever they are, are still there, but seem to be falling off in some places. I don't know, it's all weird. Lol.
  • @misskristin I thought there was only about 40 types? :/ It seems like every website or person has a different number, lol.
  • I had it w my last pregnancy just the abnormal pap and cells that was in 2008 it went away on its own cause w this pregnancy I don't have it anymore
  • @babymcbride8_27 Hm, I thought it was more than 100. Ah well, the point was that not all strains act the same. I had an abnormal pap while pregnant with my son, normal after pregnancy, then abnormal again 2 years later. The last time, the cells were stage 3&4 so they opted for a cold knife conization of my cervix. My paps have been normal since so no more hpv for me. :)
  • @darknesofnight4u I wonder if the warts are just being caused by crazy pregnancy stuff. :/ I mean, I have skin tags showing up on my neck & around my eye, who's to say that isn't what it is.
    @misskristin Gahh, HPV is so complicated! Lol. Hopefully, my Paps stay normal, and these warts are just some off the wall pregnancy thing. :) Thanks for the info.
  • My bob showed bc my immunity went down from being prego the after I lost the baby it never showed up and this one its not there so definitly
  • Hpv** lol dam touch screen w auto correct
  • @darknesofnight4u See, that's what I was talking with my fianceé about. Pregnancy obviously lowers your immune system, so maybe that's what's going on. I was prescribed some cream stuff to put on the warts, but it's not doing anything at all. I'm gonna bring all this up at my appointment on Tueday, though. It just doesn't add up, ya know?
  • I was first diagnosed with Hpv after my doc seeing warts, never had an abnormal pap ( abnormal cervical cells) until after my first pregnancy, had a colposcopy ( cut out cervical tissue to be looked at more closely) that came back ok, haven't had an abnormal pap since 2007.
  • Most of the starins that cause warts actually don't cause cancer. Sotechnically its a better strain to have. I think it still ups your risk but not anything like the other kinds.
  • I do now there are many types of Hpv mine was almost cervical cancer so ur experence may be different than mine I hope it goes
  • Away for you %%-
  • You can have a normal pap and still have hpv. They run a different test for hpv. Not all strains of hpv will cause abnormal cells, so the pap will come back normal. You have to ask your doc to test for the hpv to see if it has cleared your system. They typically wont test for it everytime you have a pap. @BabyMcBride8_27
  • I'm really confused now after reading everyones posts. I went to the doctor to get tested after I felt the warts down there. A week later I found out I was pregnant and doc told me since pregnancy lowers you immune system that's why the warts appeared. I also have abnormal cells on my cervix. They are hoping my cells go back to normal after baby is born. They also told me that they can't do anything about the warts till after baby is born but they will most likely go away on its own with in 6 weeks. They also said I will have hpv for the rest of my life. The warts can come back whenever and I can give it to other ppl.
  • @new_baby_in_oct That's just it, though. After seeing the warts, he told me he was going to run an HPV test with the Pap. But, the entire Pap, including the HPV test, came back normal. :/ The Pap was done the day he saw the warts, so it's not like it could've gone away before the Pap was done, ya know? I don't understand any of it, but I'm definately gonna look farther into it.
    @jerricab Hmm, that's odd.. From what I've read on multiple websites and asked my doctor, HPV can clear itsself up, and normally goes away in about a year or two. It can be passed to your partners, and they can go away then come back. I do know that the strain that causes warts, and the one that causes abnormal cells are two different strains. There's 40+ strains of HPV, and you can have more than one, though. And, you are encouraged to be checked for HPV/Cervical Cancer regularly just incase. That's about all I know, but after reading everyone's posts, I'm a little confused myself.. :/
    @darknesofnight4u Me to!
    @ll10 Yep, you're exactly right.
    @jbandno3 I'm kinda hoping that it'll all clear up after the pregnancy, if not I'm definately going to look into procedures I can have to help it.
  • It used to be a permanant std. But then the vaccine came out and it wend from like 20 strains to hundreds which kind of changed the nature of it. You might just not have hpv on your cervix. The dr needs to check the outbreak I would think. Its like having a coldsore and them swabing your tounge to test it I think. It is definitly not hthe same disease it was 10 years ago.
  • @ll10 I didn't even think about that. It makes sense, though. I'm gonna bring it up Tuesday at my appointment.