question about babys health...

edited August 2011 in High risk pregnancy
I have to be monitored 2 times a week atleast. Today I was being monitored for over an hour. Ayva wasn't responsive? I don't know what that means really. They had me talk, then eat and drink something, and then they used a vibration thing and said they finally got a responsive hb. I'm so confused. She was active the entire time and even had the hiccups. Does this mean somethings wrong with her heart? @HomeBirthAdvocate maybe you can clue me in, the nurses didn't explain anything to me...

Comments

• I've never been monitored, so I can't help. : ( hopefully someone has an answer for you!
  • I hope so too. I can't sleep cuz I'm worried.
  • @mariahaucoin77 iv tried to ask the nurse but she was kindof rude and just waved it off.
  • I will have to go in for bi weekly nst's once I get to 32 weeks (I am 29 now). Unresponsive is in regards to her heart rate. They want to see some changes in the heart rate while you are being monitored which is why they tried to "wake her up" with the methods you stated. I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with your babies heart. It happened alot with my first 2 pregnancies, my babies just were happy relaxing in there. If the doctors or nurses were seriously worried, I am sure they would have spoken to you or had you made an appt to speak to them or have an ultrasound. Good luck!
  • No I haven't googled it. Its hard on my phone
  • Oh and if you are ever concerned about anything or have questions, don't let them dismiss you like that. Try to stand up and say hey I am worried or I want to know this etc. Sometimes they just don't have the best bedside manner and don't realize that we don't know what everything means.
  • @juliek77 see I'm confused cuz she was wide awake and moving around like crazy. This is third time she's not been responsive butthis one took the longest
  • This is what americanpregnancy.org says about nst's:

The primary goal of the test is to measure the heart rate of the fetus in response to its own movements. Healthy babies will respond with an increased heart rate during times of movement, and the heart rate will decrease at rest. The concept behind a non-stress test is that adequate oxygen is required for fetal activity and heart rate to be within normal ranges. When oxygen levels are low, the fetus may not respond normally. Low oxygen levels can often be caused by problems with the placenta or umbilical cord.

I hope that helps explain it more. I think if they got the baby more active and saw some changes in heart rate, that everything is fine. Baby might have been awake but just relaxing a little more until they "buzzed" her a couple times and then she started to respond. I know it is hard but I would try not to worry about it and definitely ask the doctor or nurse to explain it to you more in depth and answer your questions at your next appt. If they get pissy, oh well for them, this is their job. Try to relax and get some sleep hun!
  • sorry @jazzi89, I always forget to tag
  • I have nst every week twice a week... They monitor the change in the baby heart rate as it responds to her movement. So I'm guessing maybe she was really active but her heart rate didn't respond to the movement... Idk just a guess..
  • It is really really hard not to worry. Her heartrate didn't change at all until they buzzed her and the nurse said it wasn't a great hump on the monitor but it was good enough. I can't sleep :( I've tried
  • @SuperMommy89 yes that was what was happening, I'm wondering y. I'm confused because they hr is supposed to rise and hers didn't when she moved...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank u so much @HomeBirthAdvocate ! That's very reassuring. I wish my nurses would explain things to me. Ugh. Another question. I have pre e but today my bp was 118/73? I thought it was supposed to b high all the time?
  • Ok I was just kinda cnfused because my bf was low but I still hadthe swelling and headaches. Hopefully I can avoid the induction
  • Maybe baby was sleeping. Id say nothing too much to worry over. Next time drink something sweet.
  • just like @HomeBirthAdvocate said cause when i had my baby and broke my water they had to but an internal heart monitor on the baby cause the external wasnt reading it right. so dont stress cause thats not good for the baby