Braxton Hicks *edited at bottom*

edited August 2011 in Second Trimester
I just hit 17 weeks and I am noticing that my uterus is getting tight and hard. I personally would think it's too early to be experiencing Braxton Hicks, however, I've also had pelvic pressure for a few weeks (that's in another post discussing a cerclage). My last cervical measurement was at 3cms. Although I cannot feel the BH, I am noticing the tightening and now more cervical pressure, I also had some increased back pain last night. I am not dehydrated nor over exerted. I did not feel them with my son either, although I was having them and did dilate and efface by 38 weeks. How early would you think is too early?

Comments

• Doc told me I was having them at 12 weeks, had one while I was on table and they were trying to find babies heart beat.... he said its normal as long as they are not constant, also said many women have them 24/7 and never even know it...
  • *update* Aside from how early they happen...how often should I be noticing them? Again, I never noticed them with my son, but I am definitely noticing a hardening of my uterus. Anyone else have this happen before 20 weeks?
  • I dont know specifically but I've read somewhere (prego brain I'm sorry) that the uterus has BH all pregnancy long and a lot but most go unnoticed. So from reading that I assumed they were okay to feel and experience anytime throughout the pregnancy. Now as to how many times.. I don't remember how many it said. Hope someone can help you answer that question.
  • Ive been getting bh since before 20 weeks. My dr said the more active you are the more bh you will get! Im extremely active so I get them all the time! Im now.38 weeks, and ready for these bh to be real! :)
  • I don't think It's too early, I wanna say my doctor told me around 20 weeks was normal. But if you're worried about it, I would call your doctor. I had BH and pressure and went to L&D at 28 weeks. Turns out I had a yeast infection, a bladder infection, and bv.. three different doctors told me that infections can cause BH and pressure. I'd get tested, just to be on the safe side.
  • @lucyloo288 I was just tested like 2 weeks ago and I'm not having any discomfort that would point to an infection. I noticed them earlier this afternoon when I wasn't doing much of anything, then still happening tonight after walking around the mall a little bit and eating dinner. I've also noticed some cramping now and back pain seems to be joining in. My biggest concern is my cervix getting shorter as I'm already being monitored for it. (I've had a few procedures that can cause my cervix to shorten prematurely.) I'm waiting it out right now, but thinking that hubby will need to take me to the hospital in the morning (so like 5 or 6 hours from now). We are military and they operate a little differently unfortunately. There isn't an on call OB, just the ER or L&D after 20 weeks. Whenever I go to the OB, I have to go to the hospital...it's a one stop shop there. At a minimum, I would hope they would monitor me to see if what I am feeling is truly BH and take another measurement of my cervix if I am experiencing them just to be safe. Thanks you for replying!

Thank you...
    @QueenBeeDarling
    @1stWoodsBaby
    @Jenna218xx
  • Well, good luck, hon.. I hope they figure it out for you, and put your mind at ease!
  • @lucyloo288 Thanks, me too. After having 2 miscarriages within the last year, I tend to notice even the smallest changes.