Calling all GD mommies, I really need your help! (kinda long sorry)

I have been testing my blood sugar for 4 days now. and the only number that is consistently high is the one when I first wake up in the morning. (the fasting one) the rest of my numbers during the day are perfect. the diabetes educator told me to have a snack before I go to bed because if I don't my liver will store the glucose and then spill it out in the morning when I get hungry and leave me with a high number. I have been trying different snacks right before i go to bed. I had low sugar peanut butter and crackers one night, another night I tried carrot sticks and a glass of milk. no matter what I try I am having really bad morning numbers. I also wake up around 4:30 5 ish and I am STARVING! so I know that's why my numbers are so high. so what should I do? eat a healthy snack at 5 and then when I wake up around 9 test then and see if its better? what kind of snack do you recommend before I go to bed to carry me through the night and make my levels lower in the morning? I really need to get these sugar levels consistently good so I'm not harming my baby. any and all help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Something with protein and no sugar. The milk has a lot of carbs and it is slowly digestable so it doesn't hit you right away. I would maybe have a turkey sandwich or just veggies with crystal light or something like that.
  • @headersue so I should stick with the milk? I will try some sort of lean protein source and see if that carries me over. thanks. :)
  • No don't drink the milk. That is not helping. Unless the milk is all you are going to have.
  • edited August 2011
    @headersue sorry, I am still new to this. the diabetes educator was nice but didn't really explain things to me in a way I understood. so I don't eat something that takes a while to burn off? So just something with high protein to keep me feeling full?
  • That is what I would do. How high is it in the morning? I completely understand how frustrating it can be and it takes a bit to get the hang of it. Milk is not bad, just high. So when you wake up at 5am hungry are you eating?
  • @headersue this morning I woke up at 5 so hungry I could have eaten a whole cow. I tested before I got something to eat and it was 113 I know the range they want me in for the fasting number is 90. after I tested I ate a breakfast sausage and an egg and 2 glasses of water. i tested an hour later and my levels were 104 which is normal range for an hour after eating. so I really do think me being very very hungry in the morning is whats causing this high level. so should I eat a healthy snack at 5 when I wake up and then when I wake back up test then? . usually I go back to bed and sleep till 9. I know me waking up hungry is pregnancy related because it just started happening when I got pregnant. should I test both times?
  • Well if you eat at 5 and then go back to sleep till 9 the numbers at 9 are not accurate fir a fasting sugar because it has only been 4 hours. If you are going to eat at 5 then test your sugar before that and that should be you fasting sugar.
  • @headersue I will try a little snack at 5 after I test and see what kind of numbers I get. I don't usually eat breakfast till 10 ish anyways so should i test right before I eat breakfast. how many hours is considered a fast?
  • At least 8 hours. I would test right when you get out of bed. Your numbers may be higher because you are waiting an hour to eat after you get up.
  • Sorry I am not tagging you, it is too hard to do from my phone.
  • edited August 2011
    @headersue thanks so much for your help. I will try your suggestions and see if I can get a little better numbers in the morning. I am just freaking out a little because I don't have long to get everything under control (im 34 weeks) and I really want to make sure I am not harming my baby by these high morning numbers. and you dont have to tag me, I get the notification on my computer that you responded (which I really appreciate by the way)
  • I am happy to help! :) I am 35 and 3 and I have Type 2 diabetes. My numbers have been under control through my whole pregnancy until the last week now I can't get them under control and it is causing my protein levels in my urine to be way higher! So now I am probably going to be induced at 37 weeks which I don't want! But I want my baby to be healthy so I will suck it up. If you have any other questions or anything just let me know! :) Good luck!
  • @headersue good luck with your little one and your possible induction. I will try for a few more days to get things a little lower in the morning and get back to you and let you know how it works! thanks!
  • @headersue, just thought of something else, should I take a walk after I eat my night snack just like 5 or 10 minutes?
  • @ncoughlin08 I love cheese! I was planning on buying a block today, thats a very good suggestion thank you. the nutritionist said cheese has very little sugar or carbs. I will try that out thanks!
  • Taking a walk would not be a bad idea, and cheese is really good too, or yogurt.
  • My fasting numbers kept coming up high no matter what I did, so my nurse and dietician put me on humulin (insulin) before bedtime and my numbers since have been great. The thouht of giving myself shots was intimidating at first, but after I was shown how to do it I found that it was super easy and not scary at all. I hope you find something that works for you. I know how frustrating it can be ;-)