Gestational Diabetes *update*

I am so overwhelmed by the news of me having gd, and going to be on meds. I feel like no matter how hard I have tried to control it this pregnancy it doesn't matter, I am a failure. I feel like I am so restricted on what I can have and so confused on how to make my meal plans. The gd educator basically rushed thru everything.

Comments

• When you get it just now for the pregnancy?
  • I found out 2 weeks ago I have gd, I had it with my first but wasn't nearly as bad. I didn't have to do all of the things I have to do now.
  • What do you have to do when you have gd? what happens to baby?
  • Did they put you on glyburide or insulin? I had GD and it wasn't so terrible. It was easy to maintain and not a huge hassle.
  • Sorry, I don't know anything about it... You are not a failure though!
  • Don't let urself be overwhelmed. I just focus on protein and veggies then allow a small carb. It really is easy. What do ya need help with?
  • @BkE913 I haven't been given the meds yet have to see my ob on Monday and then the education person again to discuss who my doc will be and so forth. But she said I will definetly have to be on meds. @doodles, I'm not one for eating through out the day, use to eating breakfast lunch and dinner...I very rarley snack, and to have to be on a schedule and make sure I test my sugar at a certain time just makes me a lil crazy. I have to buy different things that are more expensive and we are on a strict budget. So I just think the change is worrying me and weather I will have all the necessary foods that I need, but still make sure my toddler has what he likes, he is a bit of a picky eater now.
  • I don't snack either. It makes me ill. My favorite breakfast iis toast with peanut butter. Lunch is usually a sandwich with whole grain bread....2 slices is only 2o carbs and unsweet tea. Dinner is meat or fish and lots...lots of veggis and milk. Again I don't snack and its working so far. And the toddler....hmmm that's tricky lol
  • Omg!!! I really feel bad for you :(( antes concern For The baby ? Its hora west once you gave birth
  • It doesn't have to be expensive. Do frozen veggies it will save $ rather than fresh
  • @doodles thanks. I am riding that emotional roller coaster and this today just sent me over the top with lots of twists and turns
  • I know doll. I go thru that every morning. But by noon its usually better. Keep ur mind busy so u don't dwell on it
  • Its not that bad just little life adjustment. Just think your improved eating will be healthier for the baby. I have GD and am on insulin. You have to do what you have to do. Just make sure you get a prescription for your testing supplies or else they could be expensive.
  • It's not as bad as it seems although it is period its easy to manage my numbers where so out if it 244,233,211,237 those where two hours after means n fasting for one day so they put me on gluybride that helped a lot case dieting alone wasn't working the gluybride also gives u some room like me I couldn't eat cereal in the morning and now that I take it I can
  • I am being put on insulin tomorrow. They said it can't be controlled by the pill. I don't know how I am going to stick myself with a needle everyday for the next 110 days....I really don't like needles...can't even stand when I have to get blood drawn.
  • Ughh...did 3 shots today my nerves are getting the best of me. I know its gonna get eaiser.
  • I just found out I have GD two days ago.and over the past two rays I've been preferred to two.different docs. I have an appt at 11 today with one of the new ones then one at Monday and then another appt Monday with my regular doctors. I haven't talked to.my regular ob yet so I have no idea what to expect. I'm feeling very overwhelmed just like you are. Hopefully we can get the hang of this and it wont be so hard! Best of luck to you!
  • @ncoughlin08 @doodles @vayanna Question: They told me to test my bs when I wake up. Do the really mean wheen you first wake up or can you wait about 20 mins or so. Also do you eat breakfast right after you test? Sometimes I can't eat right away and I feel like I'm forcing myself to do so which in end result makes me feel crappy after I eat
  • Oh no :-( i feel for u because i have 2 do it 2, makes u think why me! The needles dont hurt at all tho and im used to it now, the only thing that keeps me going is knowing its best for baby, im having him tuesday and fingers crossed this whole nightmare will b
  • Be over lol stupid phone :-)
  • You can wait you just have to do it before you eat breakfast that's all...... I usually make me something to eat then I check my bs and then eat what I just made and half way threw my food take my gluybride and then finsh eating
  • When I wake test my keytones, test my bs, then 15 mins before I eat breakfast *2carbs* I have to take 3 units of insulin, test 1 hr after eating, snack*2carbs* about 2 hrs after , 15 mins before eating lunch *3carbs* I have to take 3 units of insulin, check 1 hr after eating, snack*2carbs* 2 hrs after, 15 mins before dinner *3carbs* I have to take 3 units of insulin, check 1 hr after eating, then bedtime snack *2carbs* 9pm have to take 10units insulin
  • My bs this morning when I woke was 142, took my shot had breakfast and took my bs 1hr after was at 206, checked it an hr after that came down to 160
  • I check within 30 min of waking up. Ur numbers still seem high:-( I cant do the 2 carbs in morning. I only do one. Seems my body doesn't do carbs in the morning
  • @doodles I told my dietian that, and she said I have to have 2 carbs in the morning
  • Hmmm weird. I sorry to hear that
  • @doodles she called while I was eating lunch she said she would call me back after her next client and she is gonna up my dose. :-(
  • @ncoughlin08 I was reading the same. I can't do bacon but I do ham n cheese. I usually have yogurt before bed.
  • @Sterling_Mama watch ur ham. Some of it has lots of sugar in it. Keep high protein going it really helps metabolize sugar more efficiently. (For me anyway :-)
  • To be honest I could have never been more happy my Ob up my gluybride.... I remember waking up one morning taking my bs 171 I ate breakfasts and it went to 211 I forgot to take my meds so I took the one dose and ate a price of toast then checked my bs hour later it was 234 I was so stressed.bit now I have to take two twice a day n my numbers are perfect.....
    See what had me stressed is my daughter wadnt moving like she used to the Nst lady had told.me about a lady who bs where out of control she had gd to and at 37 weeks she delivered a seeing baby cause of the gd so like @ncoughlin08 don't take it as a bad thing but talk to ur Ob about upping or switching ur meds around.......