horseback riding?

edited August 2011 in Pregnant
I'm pretty sure that its on the list of things that you're not supposed to do while preggo but just curious if any of you have? I'm doing a study abroad class In south Dakota on a reservation and I got the itinerary for it today and I know I won't be able to do the sweat lodge but curious about the horseback riding...I'm sure its just riding along a trail and nothing fast so didn't know if that would be ok. I have an appt with my Dr next week and ill ask her but wanted to see what you ladies thought.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think most places wont even allow you to ride (insurance and all that)
  • No u cant horseback ride
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have a friend who works at a stable and has for years. She was 15 weeks pregnant and riding one of the lesson horses. A horse that was supposed to be bomb proof.
    Horse spooked, she fell off, and lost the baby.
    She has been riding horses since before she could walk.
    I would highly advise that you dont, and if youre showing or they know youre pregnant they wont let you ride anyway
  • Its up to you....I currently have 5horses....my first 2pregnancys I trained n broke horses up until the day I had them...this pregnancy I don't have energy to ride...I rode for my first 4mo but I'm almost 9mo n extremely tired.....your going on a trail ride these horses are safe enough for a baby to ride they do it day in n day out your not going to fall off if for some odd reason u did your baby is protected by the placenta...u may want to either not say your pregnant or call n ask about policy for pregnant women as there is a chance insurance wont allow it...but u will b fine
  • Your only allowed to if you did before you got pregnant
  • A lesson horse n a trail horse are different....trail horses on a string like your talking about are just fine...I have an old man that was used as a lesson horse but put him in a trail setting he can act stupid m hes 23 n so called bomb proof...if a horse does trails day in n day out your fine.
  • No don't!! I barrel race but since being preggo I won't even get on my horse..and she's very gentle but you never know what could happen. Animals are un predictable.
  • I have horses also and I don't ride them anymore bc they are unpredictable regardless of what kind
  • I guess I'm careless Lol I'm not. One to freak over every little thing..so I'd Listen to the others
  • edited August 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @azmom I'm also not one to freak out over little stuff....
    I knew it was a no no but didnt know if it being a trail horse if it would be different.
  • I've been riding since I was little & am a very good rider, but stopped as soon as I found out I was prego. It doesn't matter how much u trust a horse there is still an unpredictability factor w/horses. Not only falling off can hurt u but the bouncing & using your abs too much is not good. My dr also said no, its not worth the risk.
  • We tried to go horse back riding while on a girls trip....my sister was pregnant 6 months. Their was 4 of us going plus the instructor. One horse took of from the back of the pack, going past me and the other girl, it stopped by my sisters horse and started to buck. While bucking that horse kicked my sisters horse and her horse took off. She fell off and got drug a short distance bc her foot was stuck in the stirup. Thank God her shoe broke or she would have got drug some more. It happen so fast and it was so scary! Thank God she and Rylee( my niece) are ok. So no I wouldn't recommend it. In hindsight we should have never let her get on....oh and this was all in 5 mins of us getting on the horses we were right in front of the facility.