How did you tell your parents your pregnant?

edited January 2011 in August 2011
I'm 20 yrs old & I'm about 13 weeks prego. I'm having hard a hard time finding the courage to tell my dad (I just told my mom) that im preg!! My mom was the same age as me when she had me so she's understanding but idk how its guna go w. My dad. Any suggestions :/??

Comments

• Well y dont u sit them both bt tell ur mom o I wanna talk to my dad bt I want u to be there nd u tell them tats how I did it bty mom didnt knoe only my husband so wat we did is we told them o I want to talk to u guys so then I told them I was prego hope tat kinda helps.
  • I'm 24 and it was hard to tell my mom..I'm not married and almost finished with school. At first she was upset but I told her I just need her support right now...everything happens for a reason! My dad didn't say much..but there isn't too much they could say..I have to live with the responsibility of raising this child NO ONE ELSE! Good luck
  • No matter how u tell them they may not take the news really well at first. My advice is to give them time to sit on it. They usually always come around. Especially after the baby is born. He/she will have your parents eating out of the palm of their hands. Especially your dad. Grandpaps r suckers...
  • edited January 2011
    Well me & my dad have never really gotten along so I'm really afriad of what he will say or what will happen. I always think of the worst possible situations that could happen. Plus when my bf & I were first 2gether my dad never really liked him & told me he wasn't good enough 4 me.
  • No man will ever good enough for u in your fathers eyes. And no matter what your relationship was like prior to ur pregnancy this will be a time for u to reconnect. I'm not saying that he won't have negative things to say when u tell him, Im just saying give him time to adjust. Also tell him u really need his support and u can't do this alone. Fathers usually just want to b part of our lives and don't handle us growing up to well. They need to know that they r still needed in our lives. Try to include him in this pregnancy even if he gives u the cold shoulder. Stay on him to b involved, he should eventually come around.
  • I'm 20 years old and I'm about 7 weeks pregnant with my second child. My mom knows but my dad doesn't I'm scared of his reaction so I know how you feel. With my first pregnancy they
  • I was 20 when I got pregnant with my first I didn't live at home and wasn't married I was so scared I told my mom on the phone I got the worst reaction she said I can't talk to you I'm so disappointed in you and hung up on me. She would talk to me but never asked about the baby she found things out from strangers asking me questions. She told me my dad is going to be mad and told me to wait to tell him so I did at 7 months over the phone I was crying I was so scared but hr was happy and said you are doing the right thing. And then why did you wait so long I don't care it doesn't cost me money. He started calling all of my family telling them my parents are in love with my daughter. With my second child me and my bf got married and I was scared to tell my dad again. But he was happy
  • @ babybumpers I believe that's true I think that he dosent want to see me struggle. Thank you all for your insight :) it means a lot!
  • Well I'm 19 &nd I told my mom &nd dad there both hppy ! &nd I'm so excited abt it...&nd so is my bf but we been tewgether for a while &nd I have my own place &nd wrking &nd in skool so no disappointmnt this way gudd luck tew the rest of yuh ! -augustmommy
  • Im 20 and I took a picture of the pregnancy test and sent it to my parents(they live in a different state than me) well my older sister called me cuz she had my parents phone.. she was thrilled cuz now her son has a playmate. He's 4. But she asked if she could tell them and I said of course. Well she said it and my dad ran and thew up Haha my mom snatched the phone and asked a ton of questions and got really excited about it being born in September. My dad called me later that night crying his eyes out. Im his youngest daughter.
  • But he's excited and not mad at all:)
  • I'm going to send my mom a cup that says worlds best grandma and a grandpa one for my dad. It avoids me getting nervous telling them over the phone, and it gives them time to accept it on their own ^_^
  • Jessi that's a cute idea:) my parents are gonna be called mops and pops though lol that's what my nephew calls them Haha
  • edited January 2011
    Am 23 and 9 weeks prego. I told my mom over the phone because she lives 1 1/2 hours away so I wasent sure when I was gonna ser her again since am always so.busy. I told my dad in person with my boyfriend their. My dad lives like 15 min from me. He had a really good reaction and I thought he was gonna be mad and yell but he didn't he is happy.
  • I already suspected I was pregnant and had discussed with my mom how I had to pee more often and I felt nauseous but I didn't have the flu. So when I called her in hysterics after the positive test that I was definitely pregnant she wasn't even shocked. I yelled at her because she didn't sound enthusiastic. She told me she was happy but wasn't surprised. And it was early in the morning, so I had to cut her some slack.

For my dad I went over to their house (i had sworn my mom to secrecy) and asked him if he would rather be called grandpa, grandad, or opa ... cause Im pregnant!

Then we went to Ihop and I found out that my baby doesn't like pancakes, eggs, or hashbrowns.
  • I just got back from a college visit with my mom and asked her how she would feel about being called grandma...she was really sad at first and cried almost that whole night. However, my bf told my dad when I was sleeping. My bfs christmas present was not getting knocked out by my dad.
  • Well i am 38 yrs old and when i told my mom she was mad becasue my bf is black and i am white..she did not talk to me for weeks...but she is slowly coming around
  • No matter how you do It....the sooner the better. I know it really stressed me out and I felt so much relief after everyone knew
  • I haven't told my dad yet. Definantly procrastinating on that one. I never actually said the 'p' word to my mom. I still haven't. I hinted it out. She's like, are you doing drugs? No. Are you pregnant? ..apparently. And that's how that went. I honestly don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to tell anyone else in my family. :/
  • hi well i am nearly 16 weeks preg im 24 yrs old married but dnt live with hubby atm long story i aint telling my parents till ive moved but bump is getting big so finding it hard to hide it now
  • I'm 19 and told my mum on Facebook via a private message and my dad via text, mum took it well but my dad flipped and threatened to chop my partners man bits off.
  • Good luck.n congratulations. I know is hard to tell ur parents let ur man sit down n talk to him. This will show ur dad that he is ready to step up to the plate.
  • Ya I'm 19 weeks now and still haven't said anything to my dad :/ @ rawsky that's what I'm afriad of my dad will do too plus he dosent even like my bf so it dosent make things better. I'm just really afriad that he's going to get so mad that he's going to kick me out of the house. I'm going to eventually have to tell him soon cuz were moving to a diff. House & he wants me to lift heavy things. But @ hopin_for_baby3 my bf dosent even want his own parents 2 kno I am prego which totally annoys me :c
  • @tracitini: mii parents r the same way !!!! Cuzz mii bf iss black !! Butt they at least talking to me...mii dad wants me to put the baby up for adoption butt there's no way!! && I know its only bcuz the bbys part black.. Aghh sooooi stupid!!!!
  • Hi I'm 20 and 13 wks I found out 2 days after new yrs so I took a pic of 2 tests and sent them to my mom via txt saying happy new years? She wasn't happy @ all but everyone is right he will come around just like my mom did she's ecstatic now and u need to tell him before he makes u pick something up u don't want to go through that tragedy and for ur bf he should have the courtesy to tell his family and b a man about it my husband sat on the phone with my dad explaining his support and he told his parents 5 mins after I told him.
  • My step dad and used to fight and argue all the time, the birth of my son changed that a lot. I think being pregnant and having a baby brings u closer to your parents in most cases. If ur scared just get it over with. Once he stops being negative(if he is) he will be happy for you and the sooner the better
  • i cant tell my parents full stop i aint allowed near my hubby as none of my family like him so we meet in secret and r moving 200 miles away to b 2geva but no one will know where we r going
  • I pic messaged the test to my mom she lives far away and was working I called my dad after doctor confirmed and now my dad has a blast buying for lil kailee
  • This is my 3rd & my 2 older sisters have to 2 kids so I had them both over one morning & they were upset they thought I was going to tell them we were moving I kind of smirked & asked well are you all ready for grandbaby #7? My mom screeched she was so excited my dad was to just not so much as my mom I'm daddys girl but he came around after he found out I was going to a better Dr & they were going to be taking better care of me, see I almost lost my daughter & I wasn't in good hands either.
  • Im 5 months and 20 yrs old and havent told no one.. Its hard but hey dnt kno wat to say when my sis is due in may smh