christening ?

edited August 2011 in Babies
I'm personally not catholic but my bf is and he wants to christen baby Livy. I told him that was fine but I have no idea how to go about doing it...and when. So any info will help. Thanks ladies!

Comments

• I would recommend contacting the church that he is affiliated with and asking them. I'm a Christian, so I was baptized. Sorry I'm not more help.
  • Sorry hun, I don't kno :(
    Do u need to be baptised yourself?
  • My sister in law is catholic. She seemed confused by your post. She said normally they baptize after just a few weeks. She didn't know anything about christening. She said you take a class and then schedule a date.
  • @misskristin thanks anyway!
    @jaime77 I don't think I need to be for her to be christened.
  • @vtmamajuju christening is the same thing as baptism I think. Where they have the christening gown and they pour the water on their head ect. You have to take a class?
  • Any Catholics with some insight? I'm trying to look stuff up and found one church that says the godparents must be catholic...is this true for all catholic churches? The godparents we want are Luthern...would they accept Lutherans?
  • I'm Catholic. I'm bot sure if both parents need to be Catholic in order to complete the Sacrament of Baptism. It is a Sacrament, so there are other ones that will need to be followed such as Communion and Confirmation. You baby will need at least one Godparent and the Godparent(s) should be Catholic. Most people with choose a Godmother and Godfather. My daughter also has a Christian Witness (non-Catholic)...my sister. You will need to call a Church and ask them how to set a date and what else they need you to do. It's is a commitment as Baptisim is commiting as parents to raising your child as a Catholic. The Godparents help guide your child spiritually and should be apart if all other Sacraments that are fullfilled.
  • As for the Godparents, I think its pretty standard that they be Catholic; however, some Parishes will allow non-Catholics. Your best bet is to call around to Churches in your area and see what they say.
  • @soon2bmomof2under2 thanks! I thought the whole reason for being christened for the Catholics is to absolve her of the original sin.
  • @soon2bmomof2under2 how old are they when u get them christened?
  • edited August 2011
    Yes, you are correct; however, it is also committing to raising your child Catholic. I was referring to the commitment because you are not Catholic and if you do not plan on raising your child as a Catholic then you guys should try to figure out which faith you guys plan on raising your child. It's a pretty serious thing in the Catholic faith.
    Here is the Vatican website on Baptism...its long, but you can skim through it. There is a portion about the Baptisim of Infants. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a1.htm
  • We try to Baptize the infants with in the first couple months. There are Holy times in which Baptisim is not allowed, Lent is one of them. I had my daughter baptized at 2.5 months (she was born during Lent, so we had to wait until it was over) and baby #2 will be baptized around one month old.
  • @soon2bemomof2under2 thanks for the info...I appreciate it! His family is hardcore catholic and its very important to them for her to be christened (with the whole going to hell thing)...however we haven't broken the news to them that we won't be raising her catholic.
  • I will back up what @soon2bemomof2under2 said. That was all the exact same stuff my SIL said. Its about 1. Committing to raise your child Catholic and 2. Cleansing of original sin. It might be difficult to convince a priest to do the baptism if you're only looking for one of those. She said yes, Catholics do take it VERY seriously.
  • I guess I should say that I was baptized as a teen and not a baby. I would consider christening to be a sprinkle of holy water on an infant at the request of the parents. Baptism was my choice as a teen and involved full submersion.