Throwing up during Labor ? Help :(

edited August 2011 in September 2011
Ok well since THAT time is inching closer, i'm getting scared... A part of my fears, it may seem stupid, is throwing up. I haven't thrown up since I was about 3 years old and I remember that day like it was yesterday. It's as if I developed some phobia to it after my grandfather had cancer and all he did during his radiation treatments was vomit... I used to run away, hide and cry. Since then, whenever I feel nausea i do everything my mind tells me to stop it. I'll suck ice, take a cold shower, go for a slow walk outside, or take some type of antacid and try to let it pass. I've even held my breath (when I was really young n somehow it worked). My little tricks have helped so far but i'm scared that during labor I won't have that "control" over my body and it terrifies me.

Please reassure me that throwing up isn't as bad as my mind has me thinking... :( What causes it during labor and does everyone have to go through it??? What can I do to avoid it or is that impossible? HELP!

Comments

• I didn't throw up during labor, I wouldn't be too worried about it unless you have a super weak stomach. I was heavily medicated but I have a strong stomach
  • @lily_glz
    im gonna assume that since i havent thrown up in so long that this stomach is steel but u know how it goes when u talk about something...the exact opposite happens :( stress
  • I did throw up, but don't worry it will be the last thing you are worried about!! I think that's the only time throwing up never bothered me lol i was too focused on my baby. This was my baby idk how i will do this time since i am having a scheduled csection. I have heard that pain meds can cause it or if you are overly stressed while in labor i think with me i was overly stressed cause i threw up when ibwas waiting on my emergency csection, i was freaking out lol and in soooo much pain! Just relax as much as you can during labor is all i can say which i know saying it is alot easier than doing lol!
  • My first bby sorry
  • @kristaf22
    im gonna try n be okay lol. Let's see how my labor story ends up :/

@Lindsey2Bou
    ooh i dont know about those meds now lol. Maybe I can demand an anti-nausea med?? Hopefully u 2 r right. I know it wont be the end of the world but in my little bubble... u Know? lol
  • My 1st 2 I chucked with no 3 nope with no4 thought I wanted to but didn't
  • I threw up in labor with my last two. I had lunch while in labor with my son. It was back labor and I wasn't sure that it was the real thing. So while pushing with him it came back up. With my last, I was induced and had nothing to eat or drink. I think the pitocin just made the contractions so hard it made me sick. I didn't worry about it too much. I figured vomit was probably not the worst they've seen.

They should allow you to have ice chips, which may help you. Good luck!
  • edited August 2011
  • I threw up during labor with both of my bbys...no clue why but it happens! You'll have other things goin on throwing up will be the easy part! And it doesn't happen to everyone so maybe you'll be ok!
  • @txmoorekat
    How many weeks were u when U went in? Do u know if they can give you anti-nausea? IDK why im so paranoid...
  • I never threw up.. I got a lil nausouse from demerol before but dodnt puke
  • @2boiz_1gurl
    im losing hope seeing all these posts now... I literally cry if I feel like I wont be able to keep myself from throwing up. Hopefully I dont stress about it so much during labor. Hopefully it doesnt happen at all! Wishful thought though...
  • @lae3
    U give me hope :) Hope I follow in your direction
  • @k_baBix0 - I was induced on my due date. They didn't prescribe any anti nausea meds. Just told me not to eat or drink after midnight. I had to be at the hospital at 6am.
  • If u tell them ur nauseous they will give u iv anti nausea meds which should help.
  • Throwing is just like pooping u really won't care during the active and pushing part
  • i threw up once but it was only bc i had real bad back labor, i held my breath through contraction & it didn't happen again
  • @kingsmama
    im gonna tell them im nauseous waaay before it happens! Lifesaver if i can get it lol

@Rissalee
    I wish I could think like that lol. Im sure these thoughts will be out the window during the nitty gritty HOPEFULLY :)
  • @CrumbledCookie
    did you end up with an epidural?
  • Ya they have no problem giving u nausea meds :) I worked in a hospital in l & d and they will give it to u like candy.
  • I haven't been through labor yet but i know my dr told me when i felt like i was going to get sick to have somebody massage the pressure point on your wrist or the one between your thumb and pointer finger that really helps with nausea.
  • @kingsmama
    oooh God bless you for those words :) Thank U!
  • i also try any technique i can to prevent pukiing but sometimes its better to just get it out.. so you feel better.. just one thing .. they always try and give you that tiny stomach shaped tubb.. and im a projectile vomiter so that thing would not work lol.. my oldest is the same way.. ugh.. so im like im gonna need a garbage can or something cause thats just not gonna do..lol
  • @feb2012mommy
    Woww,i knew between the pointer and thump was good for headaches but had no idea it was good for nausea as well. Where on the wrists do you rub?
  • Np hun. I'm gonna do it too :) I hate puking even tho I feel better after, i don't wanna do it in labor lols
  • Right at your bone below your thumb where they can take your pulse.
  • @lae3
    lol!! u know, usually after one of my little episodes, I end up saying i'd probably feel better to just throw up instead of panting around like an idiot lol. Those little tubs make me nervous when i see them lmao. I am truely scarred... No little kid should see the things I did but unfortunately it unavoidable most times
  • @feb2012mommy
    Thank U! I'll be utilizing that technique along with my demands for anti nausea medicine whenever the time comes lol
  • @k_baBix0 no they gave me something idk what though....i felt everything just as i had b4 the shot I just felt less like throwing up
  • And i think the temple's are one as well but im not sure.