For mommys to school age kids HELP (not preg. related)

edited August 2011 in Parenting
My son is a picky eater and will be starting full day kinder on friday!!! :( I have looked at the school lunch menus and i know for a fact he will starve him self bc those foods he just simply doesnt like!!!!! [-X I need to find alternative lunches i can pack him that he will eat!! I have some ideas but he and i need variety.....and stuff that doesnt take too long to eat bc he eats SLOoooWWWW! :!!

*He does not like condiments or any food with "sauce" no bbq chicken, ketchup etc....but he will eat spaghetti or alfredo
*Hes barely coming around to the "lunchables" crackers and ham
*no deli sandwiches i dunno y
*no corn dogs what so ever
*no unknown meat lol he prefers chicken
*no melted cheese in certain circumstances: therefore no grilled cheese sandwiches but yes to mac n cheese
*no burgers of any kind!
Yes to ALL fruits
Yes to ALL veggies he even eats cylantro on its own!
Yes to yogurt
Yes to cheese sticks
plain chicken nuggets
yes to pb sanwiches! <------its a miracle!! ^:)^ lol
yes Salads with croutons no ranch
he loves all kinds of soups! but that cant be packed in a lunch for school! It'll be cold by the time he needs to eat lol

Well any suggestions would be helpful!!! I just want a good balanced meal for him but i guess it mostly looks like yes to Dairy lol

Comments

• Well the fruits veggies and yogurt and pb&j will be fine and sometimes do the lunchables u can do granola bars u can do fruit snacks crackers chips on occasion my son likes pb&honey and maybe pay for a few shook lunches print out the menu and have him pick one meal a week to try and if hes still hungry have a snack packed and feed him when he gets home
  • My son likes nutrigrain bars as well
  • You never know, kids are different outside of the home. When my oldest was about 3/4 she wouldn't eat ANY kind of pasta unless it was crappy chef boyardee lol but at the babysitters house? The woman called it macaroni and she ate it lol plus seeing the other kids eating that food could help too. I had the same though/fear when she started daycarw/school but every report had eating checked off...so unless they were lyin ;)
  • You could pack him salads, with lots of veggies. The PB sandwiches with fruits on the side. Will he eat tortilla shells? My daughter is mega picky, but tortilla shells with shredded (NOT melted, lol!) cheese is one of her favorite meals! Depending on what time his lunch is, you may be able to get soup to stay hot/warm in a thermos. It would be worth testing out anyway. (If that works, Mac n Cheese might too.)

I'm nervous about this also, because my daughter is crazy picky too. But she's got another year to learn to eat more foods because we only have half day kindergarden.
  • My daughter will have full day kindergarten too so she will be having lunch at school. She's not picky, but she is such a slow eater. The kids only get 15 minutes to eat so I know she's going to be hungry until she learns to eat faster. Our elementary school had a summer lunch program so I took her down there a couple times for lunch to practice. Maybe if your son saw some of the other kids eating certain foods he'd be more likely to give it a try?
  • They will learn to break most of the picky eating habits by watching others. My oldest is going into 1st grade and she eats everything now because if she didn't eat what they made at school she wouldn't eat. I was packing her lunch in the beginning and she would come home with the food. So I asked her what she was eating and she said hot lunch. Hey that was cool wit me saved me money and time. But she does eat super slow my 4 yr old and 2 yr old are always finished eating before her she takes like 26 mins to eat.
  • @kailiasmomma05 thats what im hoping for is that he will break his picky habits and surprisingly hes come far to try things SOMETIMES so the list was worst before lol im just glad hes kinda accepted the cheese and i have to trick him into eating things like he loves apple dippers from Mcd's and the caramel but if i told him it was caramel he would stop eating it so according to him its peanut butter lol i broke it to him later now he knows....but i find myself often telling tricking him into eating things to try that i know he'll end up liking lol
  • Omg ur kid sounds like mine! My daughter is going into 1st grade and will b her first time having to eat lunchs there. She wants me to pack peanut butter sandwiches but i told her no. At least for the first few weeks. Im hoping she'll try foods her friends r eating. Im hoping it will end her crazy eating cause it drives me insane!
  • My son won't eat anything unless I put the word "soup" after it lmao...he loves his oatmeal soup...kids are different in school and if he sees the other kids eating and enjoying their lunches he will probably at least try everything...
  • My son is pretty picky as well, but kids tend to follow other kids my son is only going in 1st and he ate something from the school everyday. Also they offerd alt to what was on the school menu, they offerd pbj everyday lol.
  • @mamato2boys I think that goes with the parenting territory lol for over a couple years chicken parm was "pizza" lol and one time fish was "chicken'
  • I have a different but similar concern. My son is starting full day pre-k tomorrow and he's allergic to nuts. Im terrified someone will give him their peanut butter sandwich. Super glad he grew out of his egg allergy though! That was a hard one!
  • oh my @vtmamajuju yes that would be scary! I'm sure the teachers will monitor that (hopefully)

But my son is pretty strong minded about his likes and dislikes lol and one thing that no one has ever gotten him try was ketchup, never liked it as a baby & doesnt like it now!!---I guess i just gotta monitor the lunch menu and pack him lunch on certain days lol he hates sloppy joes! But im going to purposely not pack him lunch on days where he can alternate the luch himself: Chicken PAtty he doesnt like burgers but im sure he can just eat the chicken & not the bread )hopefully it doesnt have mayo or else he wont touch it!

@Everyone I wish you ladys luck with these picky eater kids we have [-( and im hoping he will attempt new foods....my son starts his full day on Monday for kindergarden and im praying that its a good day!! [-O<
  • In our school there are peanut allergies so they advise u not to bring it, and they only offer hot lunch a couple times a month! I'm gonna have a hard time coming up with different options as well!!!!! :/