Who else has PAC?

edited August 2011 in Health
I was diagnosed last Sunday with PAC.(and heart murmur)
I can't remember if I was complaining about my heart 'skipping' before I got pregnant or not. :/ I remember saying something to my husband and mom, but not sure when, and they don't remember either. When I complained it was super rare beat.

Well last Sunday I went to the ER b.c. it kept happening and wasn't sure what the heck was going on and it felt like someone was squeezing my heart and the air out of my lungs. Well it has gotten much worse over the past week. I finally heard from the cardiologist today and have an appt next Wed.
What should I expect them to do at my first visit? Do they do anything to help with it? The ER doc said in some cases people ingest meds, but since I have active asthma they won't be prescribing me any b.c. of the side affects it already causes.

Also those who are curious as to what PAC is:
As the name suggests, premature atrial contractions (PACs) are contractions in the atria of the heart that occur too early in the rhythm sequence. Abnormal electrical impulses signal the atria to beat prematurely. PACs are very common and can happen in otherwise healthy persons. Most persons who have PACs never notice them. Because PACs occur out of the normal rhythm, this condition is an arrhythmia. The physician may notice an irregular pulse, or the PACs may be found on an electrocardiogram (ECG).

The most common cause of PACs among healthy persons is ingestion of caffeine, nicotine, or alcohol or exposure to stress. PACs are found more frequently among persons with heart disease such as ischemia (decreased blood flow to the heart muscle) or congestive heart failure (decreased pumping efficiency of the heart). Persons with heart disease are more likely to have PACs convert to atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter (two types of atrial arrhythmias). Chronic pulmonary disease may make PACs more frequent, as can electrolyte (salts in the blood) disturbances.
info gathered from: http://apma-nc.com/httpdocs/PatientEducation/premature_atrial_contractions.htm

Comments

• Wow hope everything goes well for you and your munchkin! Bump
  • Out of curiosity what does it feel like? I've been getting these weird feelings in my chest...I forgot to mention it to my Dr today... Just got a new ob today and when I told my last obgyn that my heart randomly races she blew it off. But now I'm also getting what feels like baby kicking me in the heart randomly...I obviously know that he's not, I just don't know how else to describe it.
  • I have palpitations some times is like that??
  • Thanks! @Emmatamomma So far baby is good :)

@smcox for me it feels like my heart skips a beat then beats like 3 times in a row non stop. Also when it happens I sometimes huff like the air in my lungs is being pushed out. Its very uncomfortable. My friend said her's got worse when she would get braxton hicks more often. I would def make an alarm in your phones calendar to go off when during your visit at your doctors, that way it can't slip your mind. :) It'll pop up while in the office.

@2girls_1boy sometimes like the description? Whats palpitations? Do they do anything for it?

The PAC seems to happen more often at night, or if I lay on my left side..
  • I'll Google it tomorrow for you and post palpitations means!! Im on the phone
  • @lovin_gir They may have you wear a holter monitor for a day or 2. I'm sensitive to the stickies used to attach it so it got uncomfortable for me. With that they'll have you write down a journal of activity with date/time/what you're doing when you feel differently. Maybe send you for 3D echo of your heart (basically an u/s of your heart, doesn't hurt). At least this is what my cardiologist did for me. I kept having palpitations (which can be caused by PAC's) and my resting HR would be in the 120s-low 130s (textbook normal is 60-100) when my heart would skip a beat I felt like the wind got knocked out of me and I wasn't pregnant at the time so it shouldn't have been like that. But even though I was still having symptoms they said it was okay and I'm not on any meds for it. When they get concerned according to my dr is when the HR goes 150s+.
  • @lovin_gir I should add since I've been pregnant I've luckily not had any symptoms which is odd to me bc of the increased blood volume and therefore increased workload on the heart. But, the body is a weird thing. If I sound weird it's cuz I graduated nursing school in December lol I don't know much more than what I posted, though I'll be glad to try and offer any other knowledge I have if you've another question.
  • @mam082711 hmm interesting.. I'm very curious and nervous not knowing what they will do.

When I was hooked up to the monitor it would go off after an episode. But when my heart beat normal it was at 78. The doc was confused why it went off at first b.c. when he looked up it was at 78 and he said thats textbook perfect. lol. I did notice my heart rate jump high to 115 when I would roll over to get comfortable.

My mom thinks I should have them hook me up while on the treadmill. I get sooo winded from walking or going upstairs. and get dizzy lately. That has been happening for yrs though. I'm glad I am finally seeing the cardiologist.

Question, When I look down at my armpit to shave, or at another weird angle like my shoulder. My eyes go black, I get dizzy and faint. I talked to my eye doctor about it. He said that was probably a neurological problem. Not an eye problem. Should I mention it to Cardio or Re-mention it to my obgyn? I've told a couple doctors and they just don't seem to think its an issue.
  • @lovin_gir Did you see an optometrist or an opthlamologist (sp??)? Don't know the difference exactly but the opthlamologist does more than an optometrist. I got hit in the eye with a field hockey ball a few yrs back and I had to see an opthlamologist not an optometrist to make sure my eye was okay. I'd mention it to the cardiologist your eye problem, not the ob/gyn...There are also opthlamologists that specialize in neurology so if the one doc said it's a neurological problem, you could look into seeing one. Passing out is never normal though so I'd make sure to mention it to someone again.
  • @mam082711 it was just the regular eye doctor who did my eye exam for new glasses. Ive told my two different family doctors who didn't care. I don't actually pass out. But bet i would if i didn't sit down or lean against something.

I'll tell them though when i go Wednesday. Keep ya posted!
  • @smcox I feel like that too... Usually always happens in the morning for me.
  • @lovin_gir please do, I'm curious!