Will Marrying My BD Mess Up My Medicaid? (Kinna long)

My situation is kind of different i guess you could say. I left my ex husband for another man back in October... we had planned on just staying separated until my ex got out of the army. well, when i got pregnant in February (Damien is our happy accident) my ex decided we would go ahead and get divorced. fine with me, makes naming the true father a little easier...

anyway, in the divorce papers he has it set to where i have to go back to my maiden name before i get married again... i want him to change that to where i can go straight from his last name to my BD's last name.... we'd like to get married before Damien is born and i don't really have the time or the money to go through 2 name changes as far as my ssc and dl and all that is concerened...

anyway, my question is: is it going to mess up my medicaid if i marry my BD? will they take it away? i'd love to get married before Damien is born, but if it's going to mess up my insurance and put us back into debt after we just got out of it... i might just wait...

((Btw i know you all have heard me refer to my BD as my hubby many of times, well, that's cause we've considered ourselves married pretty much since we first got together, that's how strong our connection has always been. lol))

Comments

• I don't think you have to pit his name on there if you don't want. I mean I never heard you having to contact them if u get married
  • I have heard that if you get married theyll drop you, or make you pay a little still, or if you still qualify and hubby doesnt have insurance then they wont take it away. Call your case worker and ask. Im in the same boat but I had my baby and was approved for it after too, but if i get married idk what would happen .
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @richjen24 all i have right now is the pregnancy medicaid... i don't think i can get anything else until me and my current husband are divorced... he's army and i technically, i can still go to the doctor under tricare.

@maymommy11 my hubby to be doesn't have insurance through is job. hell he's only had the job a couple weeks. lol

@valentinasmommy yeah, i don't remember them asking me any of that when i filled out the paperwork...
  • i know for a fact it does effect your medicaid if your merried they go by his income if he makes more than min wage your screwed so id just wait.. just my oppinion..
  • I don't think you have to pit his name.
  • Wen I got married they went by the income we both made plus she had insurance through then since his parents died wen he was young. I don't think it will effect u. Depending on both income
  • if your married your obligated to put his name on your papers if not they will find out.. cause they are ran by the government and you both could end up having to pay out of pocket .. its happend before.. to friends and family .. its also called fraud.. oh yeah if your not married and living together than your not obligated to put his name on the papers or inform them about it
  • Is the divorce finalized? My.husbands divorce papers stated his ex wife would go back to her maiden name amd she never did. It was finalized in feb 08 and she's since remarried and although her fb and what not has her hubbys last name she's still "legally" got hubbys last name-anytime we call department of revenue we go thru ALL the last names ad she's still listed with "ours" lol that was fun when I brought their daughters to see her and their new brother a year and a half ago in the hospital going down the list of possible last names lol

Not sure about the medicaid sorry.
  • He not she sry my phone
  • @lae3 well, i'm technically married now. lol they just don't know that... if they did, considering he's in the army, i never would have gotten it to begin with.

@dec10 well, i don't have an income and his isn't uber high...
  • @mrs_shu nope, not legalized yet but i've been texting back and forth with him and he said if i want to keep my married name till i get married then that's fine, he doesn't care. i will be taking my BD's name after we're married though
  • unless your leagaly married.. oh you mean your still married to your ex? im confused.. if its to your ex and your seperated it doesnt count.. not to mention your prego with another mans baby.. so i think its cercustantial
  • @lae3 yeah, its a confusing situation. i'm till officially married to my ex-husband. we're in the process of doing the divorce papers now. no, its not his baby i'm having. i got pregnant with Damien 4 months after i left him with my soon to be new hubby's baby. xD damn i have lived a confusing life...
  • No your life isnt confusing lol.. It happens. This medicaid situation is making it seem that way. I agree it is best to inform them that you are married once you and hubby do. So there wont be any problems down the road because they can find out and cut it off. It states to report any changes. Your new hubby having a job doesnt really disqualify you for assistance. Because they must take in considation that his income (even if more than minimum wage) maynot be enough to provided everything such as medical. I wish you luck because I feel everyone should have medical insurance. Last... I think its crazy your only covered for "pregnancy medical" you still need it for yourself.
  • @Trisharose i think the only reason i'm only covered for the pregnancy is because i am still currently married to an army man and can use his insurance for everything else. the only reason i got the pregnancy medicaid is because its not his baby. As bad as i want to marry my sweet man... we might just end up waiting till after Damien is born... hell it'll give me an excuse to put my lil man in a cute suit :D
  • @Damiens_mommy. oddly enough I'm almost in the same situation...I just legally divorced my ex husband in court yesterday at 8 months pregnant. me & my hunny aren't really in a rush to get married before the baby. but I went back to my madien name. I have medic aide had it my whole pregnancy. I can't afford to lose my medic aide so we're waiting to get married. best wishes its a stressful situation I know.
  • @damiens_mommy My divorce was a result of domestic abuse & battery so I filed last year and it took almost 9 months to get a court date I'd get the papers done ASAP...because they can make you legally give your son your ex husband's last name because he is born before the finalization of the divorce...some states are different
  • @Emmatamomma i'm reaaaaaaally hoping i don't have to go to court. my ex is trying to make it so i don't. he lives 8 hours from me and it would truly be a pain to get down to him... specially being 6+months pregnant. >.< thank you for the wishes and its good to know i'm not the only one that's going through this.
  • My state bases it on income not marriage status
  • My fiance doesnt have insurance through his job either.its so stupid how all this works.
  • @Damiens_mommy that's good he's willing to work with you somewhat. there was no way that would happen in my situation. I know that if you live in seperate states they may do a video or conference divorce. and if you and ur ex agree that the baby is not his then it shouldn't affect the divorce. Yeah Your definitely not the only one girl....
  • @Emmatamomma well, we're thinking since the divorce is noncontested(not sure if this is the right term...) by either of us that the judge should just sign the papers and let us split. my ex isn't a horrible guy, we just weren't good together... he's made it quiet obvious in the divorce papers that Damien is not his though. lol i think he's a lil bummed out cause we tried for so long to have a lil one before we split n i got preggers with in 4 months of being with my new guy... while using bc...
  • @Damiens_mommy yeah uncontested is right we were contested but came to an agreement yesterday. What took the longest was after filing the paper it was 9 months before we got the actual court date. Yeah I thank God we didn't have any kids by that monster...he was sterile. However I got pregnant the first time me & my hunny made love....definitely gods planning...
  • @Emmatamomma yeah, everything happens for a reason. though, i did warn my ex that he might want to get himself checked if he decides to have children with another woman... i don't want her going through what i went through... i always thought it was my body, that i was a failure for not being able to conceive... -.- maybe it was just the wrong time, i dont know, but i know i don't want another woman to have to go through that if its him and he can warn her. i hope it doesn't take too long for us to get divorced... i want to at least be divorced before Damien gets here >.<
  • Pregnancy medicaid income limit is really high n most ppl still qualify married r not! The regular medicaid limit is different n lower n harder to qualify!
  • U shouldn't have to recertify ur claim until after ur baby is born it should b ok
  • It wont mess up the medicad I just got married and I still have medicad. It is only because you are prego that they won't take it away
  • it depends on the income from your BD. if the income from BD and you exceed the income amount for the two of you then you may lose it. BUT if he doesn't have an insurance option that too comes into play. chances are you could still be eligible for the medicaid until baby is 6 wks and you could be dropped after.
    i was put on medicaid when i got pregnant at 18. well when hubby and i got married a couple months later he had a job- it was slightly more than min. wage i believe- and all 3 of us were on medicaid.
  • My friend just has pregnancy medicaid because her regular insurance doesn't cover pregnancy. She married her boyfriend 2 weeks ago. She called before hand to make sure she wouldn't lose her insurance when she got married and they told her she wouldn't. I would just call and ask to be sure.