Update on baby evan

edited August 2011 in Birth Stories
He came at 2:01am, august 23 @ 37w 3d. Everything was great until this morning. He was 5lbs 10oz 19in long. His temperature keeps fluctuating so they are monitoring him. He hadn't cried since he was born,b didn't cry when he got circumcised either. Hes just sleeping and cooing. Apparently thats a problem. Hes now in the special nursery unit (basically nicu) being monitored and on antibiotics. Hes being tested for any infections. Hes also not really moving around, he just wants to sleep. so he has to stay in the nursery for 48 hours, until they get the culture results back. Its all precaution, but still scary! They said hes basically premature so they are just monitoring his lungs. it didn't help that we were in there spending time with him and we had an earthquake! Good news is my 4 year old and 1 year old daughters came and saw him, and my 4 year old kissed him on the head and told me she loved him! My 1 year old poked him in the head and laughed, so I take that as a good sign! But anyways I know everythings going to be ok, I just dont like being away from him. Hes a sweetheart though :)

Comments

• Awwww your kids sound so excited that he is here! Hope he is alright and maybe just really tired! Good luck!
  • Aw good luck! I had my daughter at 35+3 and she had to spend 6 days in the nicu, it was so hard! So I know how you feel! The whole time though I knew she'd be ok too :) are they letting you hold him at least?
  • Congrats! It sounds like he'll be just fine. If it was a serious problem I'm sure you would know. Not that he is extremely premature but I heard premies sleep a lottt more anyways! Goodluck with everything <3
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Aw I hope evrything turns out ok. Congratulations tho :)
  • @starxoxo9 yes he has an iv in but we can hold him and feed him, and our family members can hold him too. Hes not in an incubator, just kinda observation.

@everyone else he finally cried for the first time, that was one of their concerns. But hes eating pretty good and his bloodwork came back good. I'm just taking this time to try and recover and enjoy the quiet, although we have been in with him most of the day :) hes little but they said hes doing great.

I wanted to meet him so bad, and didn't care if he came early. I just wanted him out. I'm glad I didn't do anything to induce my own labor, bc I dont think I could forgive myself if I did and there was something really wrong. He wanted to come 3 weeks early bc my water broke. Now I'm upset with myself for walking too much during pregnancy, bc I'm blaming myself for him being early. Anyways what I'm getting at is there are so many things that can go wrong during pregnancy and childbirth. I know the last few weeks are a pain in the ass, but please try to keep your babies in there as long as possible. I now know what a huge difference in babies out makes to keep them in there to 39+ weeks. Healthy babies equals happy mommas :)
  • Update- Evan has pneumonia in his right lung, so he is still receiving antibiotics for the next 8 days. They are letting me stay in my room so I can easily be with him, I get discharged today. He is doing really good though :)

Why he got pneumonia.
    I went to the dr not last monday but the monday before. He told he my strep results were negative. That friday I had bloody show and went into labor. They stopped it. Found out I had a uti, received antibiotics and was sent home the next day. Monday I had a drs appt. Everything looked fine and he said I will have the baby within the week. Well I went to the mall to get my oldest daughter school clothes, then went to my mother in laws. Went potty and had a long mucus discharge. That night my water broke, 4 hours later I had evan. Come to find out my urine tested positive for strep, but they didn't know that until after I gave birth. I didn't receive antibiotics during labor so thats why my little man is here for a while :( I just wanna be able to hold him without getting tangled in a bunch of cords. But I know its for the best and itll be over and he will be home before we know it
  • Hope baby evan is okay :) good luck with everything. I think I wouldve cried if there was something wrong with my baby.
  • Awh, Hon! Prayers for you an your family, I know how hard it is to leave your little one in the NICU, but you have to remember it is best for them right now. It is not your fault at all that he is sick, it was a freak accident and I'm sure that the doctors will get everything under control and he will be perfect(: Sounds like your daughters will be just as excited as you to get him home! (: Congrats mama, and just remember to take care of yourself during the next few weeks because you can't be taking care of three little ones unless you are healthy as well!
  • @lindseynicole96 thanks. I keep blaming myself, and have no one to talk to about it so its been pretty hard. But I'm trying to stay strong, I know he'll be ok
  • @snreda hon, i know. I blamed myself so bad when I began having preterm labor at 25weeks and when I got a placental abruption, but in reality, I know that there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. Sometimes things just happen, and what happened to Evan will only make him (and you) stronger(: I know that it is very very hard for you right now, but trust me, when you get to hold your little boy in your arms and he is all healthy and smiles and giggles, all the hardships, trouble, and pain will be a lost memory because that happy baby is all that matters! You know that your little guy will be perfectly perfect in just a couple days, and right now he just needs his mommy to remember what an amazing mom she is and be there for him(: We all love you mama! Prayers and good luck with little Evan, he's gonna be one tough cookie!!!
  • today is the day we finally get to go home! This has been the longest 10 days of my life, I'm glad its almost over!!
  • I'm so happy you get to bring Evan home. I has Kolby on 8/25 and wasn't able to bring him home until 8/29.
  • Me to mama! I'm so happy that's all he got I had the iv for strep but it didn't work and my son ended up with baceeial spinal meningitis and we almost lost him I'm so happy hes almost all the way better Hun and I'm so happy u posted this because everyone needs to know what to look for it is hell to go through this I feel ya prayers for you and your family
  • @shae I had him on the 23rd and hes had an iv and antibiotics since then. He gets it out at 1 pm. I just can't wait to hold him without wires everywhere
  • Thanks @momof22be! I blammed myself for the first few days bc I wanted him to come bc I was tired of being pregnant, I'm just glad I didn't do something stupid to try and induce myself bc it could have been worse. If they didn't catch it early out would have turned into menengitis, but they caught it a few hours after he was born, bc he wouldn't cry. Its so hard too bc I have a 4 and 1 year old at home, and they weren't allowed to come see him in the hospital. Theres still a chance that at 4 weeks of age he can get menengitis but the drs are confident that they took care of it early enough that that won't happen. Gbs pneumonia is horrible, I think it should be standard to have the antibiotics during labor no matter what. Accidents happen but the stakes of what they affect are way too high not to take precautions..... I hope your babe is doing good too!
  • You are absolutely right I agree 100% I am getting treated for it even though my test came up negative because of what happened with my son I do not want to go through that again he was in the hospital for 2 weeks and at home on home meds through a pic line to his heart for 3 weeks but hes a happy healthy 7 year old and I thank god everyday that my hubby thought we should go to the docs earlier that day because if we would have went at our schedualed time we would have never known he didn't have a fever then but yes it should be given as a precaution I think mine failed because the nurse forgot to turn on the saline with it and i recieved strait meds the whole iv drip was done in like an hour instead of like 2-3 hours
  • I know what you mean. Kolby had an IV in his head and monitors all over.
  • I am so excited for you!!! Congratulations today is a big day!!!
  • Congrats hun! So glad you finally get to come home!