staph infection ???????

edited August 2011 in Pregnant
Okay so this is a very serious question..I am due in 2 weeks and my father in law was just diagnosed with mrsa I am very concerned for myself and my unborn... they live in Arizona and will be flying out for the birth of our baby girl.. I will also be having a c section... he is starting major antibiotics but im still sooooo scared he will still be contagious 2 weeks from now ... does anyone know anything about this? Will it be okay for them to come around us? Mayne @athomebirthadvocate will know something... im soo scared to get sick with me having an incision or our new born.... help please

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't know how long it lasts, but its a very serious disease!! I agree its best for him to stay away.
  • I'm an RN and no you don't need to be around him. Do you know how his infection started...like an incision or pustule? Not to scare you, but MRSA can be deadly for a child and in adults if the antibiotics don't work. He'll have to have bloodwork and cultures to conclude the infection is gone and depending on the severity it can take a while to clear up. Its very contagious and in my opinion to risky for you or new baby to be around him. Before my maternity leave I wasn't allowed to see any patient if they had known MRSA (didn't want to either).
  • I would not want him there. My husbands step mom gets it and has given it to my son 2 diffrent times. But he hasn't had it since 2007 because we don't let him over there anymore. Its not a good thing to be around. You know it can be gotten by contact with an open cut its in the blood too. if it was me id tell him you would rather wait until the baby is alittle older just to be safe. The baby maybe fine. But with you having a csection id say no. But that's op.
  • That's how I feel too ladies im terrified! But at the same time im sad they are coming all the way out here from Arizona ... I just wish he could postpone coming a couple more weeks now.. and I pray he gets better solo quick! Im so worried bc they already bought tickets so they are not going to postpone their visit :( what do I do and say without being offensive...
  • I just posted about mrsa found out I was exposed Dr office never called me back and its scary!!
  • My mom has staph infection & its not even as bad as mrsa. She has to have antibiotics for six weeks. I thought mrsa was resistant to antibiotics. I would ask ur dr about it at ur next appt. My dr wasnt concerned about my mom just said to be careful...but an open wound would worry me.
  • @spray85 thank you so much for the info.. im going to talk to them and see if may've they can try to change their tickets im just so scared.. he has to get more bloodwork done I think Thursday so hopefully they will know more on the severity... im so nervous and terrified for my babies and I health :(
  • You're welcome :) hopefully the infection is gone...Vancomycin is the antibiotic used for MRSA and its the strongest out there. Fingers crossed for your family! :)
  • Thank you! Today was his 2nd dose of vanco via iv... I pray he gets better and blood tests come back giving us good news