boobs are hurting so bad!!!

edited August 2011 in Breastfeeding
How do I get my boobs to stop hurting so bad and to stop being so hard? My milk came in today. I've tired pumping but I guess my boibs and around my nipple is so hard that it can't really catch my nipple to get suction. I've also tired expressing it myself but they're still hard and a lot didn't come out, and a very hot wash cloth on them.

Comments

• Try a warm shower or warm washcloths on them. Keep trying to pump or nurse.
  • I tired the wash cloth thing as well with very hot water. @starrxoxo9
  • My mom told me that when she breastfed hers hurt so she toughened them up, when she got out the shower or a bath she would rub them hard as she was drying off, just a thought to help your soreness.
  • Thanks. I've been rubbing them hard but not in the shower or when getting out. I'm going to try. @lovingyoungmommy
  • Hmm... maybe @homebirthadvocate can help?
  • Omg! It hurts so bad. And they feel like big rocks. @starrxoxo9
  • Warm compress. Express some milk while in the shower..
  • Mine got like that. They doubled in size over night and felt like bricks! My lactation consultant told me to do this, take Ibprofin or motrin to decrease inflammation, then in between when you pump/ breast feed use cold compresses to make swelling go down then 15 minutes before you pump/feed put hot compressed on them to let the milk down. And also try getting in the shower and make it as hot as you can stand it and let the water run on them.
  • @jcmommy I've tired that :-(
    @bentleysmommy I can't even pump because of how hard they are, the pump can't catch my nipple to suction. And I do the hot towel on them and massage them I also did a very hot shower today and it seems like nothing is working. And I don't want my milk to dry up :-(
  • It won't dry up, it just hasn't come down yet, your milk ducts are clogged. Just keep at it, and in a few days things will be flowing!
  • Oh okay. Because I really want to breast feed. @bentleysmommy
  • Have you had any progress?
  • No. :'( it will slowly come out if I express it or it will leak but nothing when I try to pump.
  • Have you tried breast feeding?
    I would look into getting a lactation consultant. Like asap!
    If you don't get that milk out, you're at a risk for mastitis.
    @HomeBirthAdvocate do you have anymore tips for her?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @bentleysmommy yes I've tired breast feeding but he wont latch on anymore because my nipplea are so hard.
    @homebirthadvocate oh okay I was just squeezing like my actual boob to get what I could out.
  • @homebirthadvocate & @bentleysmommy omg thank you! I got in the shower and put it to hot then I slowly turned it hotter and hotter until I couldn't turn it anymore then massage them for about 45mins and got out and hand expressed them and then did it again. I only got out 2oz but I'm happy I got that much. And I'm going to see if I can get a bigger size cup for my pump.
  • Awesome! Just keep at it and after you get past the engorgement, you'll be fine. :)