Name advice... Please help. I'm kind of hurt :(

edited August 2011 in Baby names
We are expecting a boy... It is my first, his second. My dad and grandpop both passed away 11 years ago within a few months of each other and since it is my first I really would love to name him after them. Problem is... My bf hates the name Cliff. I agree it's not the best name out there but it really would mean so much to me. He refuses and wants to name him Lyric. It has no meaning... He just likes music and thinks it's a 'badass' name. He said we could have Cliff as a middle name but I don't want to and am kind of hurt that he doesn't understand how much it means to me. I feel like I have no choice but to have it as a middle name. I carried this baby. I'm giving birth to him. It's his second. Idk what to do :( Any advice? Yes, we have talked about it. He just says 'sorry but I hate that name.'

Comments

• Understanding your pain. My brother passed away and I wanted to name my son after him but the more I got to thinking about it I didn't use it as his first name cause I didn't want my family to have to say Christopher and feel like they or I was trying to replace my brother. So now my son has christopher as a middle name. Worked out great.
  • Its very understandable
    I've had to pass on several names that mean something to me because my husband didn't agree on them.
    But thats the thing, it is his baby too, yes you are carrying the baby and yes your name means something to you, but just because it is his second baby doesn't make it any less his.
    This is one of those times were the two of you have to come up with a compromise.
    He at least agreed to have Cliff as a middle name, but maybe the two of you can come up with another name other then Lyric?
  • I think middle name is a good compromise, but you can honor your loved ones and still give your baby a great modern name. My father who passed away went by Earl. We're choosing a name that starts with E to honor grandpa Earl, great-grandmother Edna and great-grandmother Edith. Maybe a name starting with C? It's a popular Jewish tradition to use the same first initial...
  • u name it what u want. he is not ur husband so... it shouldn't matter. u r the one going through hell with aches and so on... so bottomline he may leave u and forsaken the kid. Tell him if i can't put cliff on that birth certificate, then he won't have your lastname either. hahaha
  • Cliff Lyric would sound awesome, he if would go for that :-?
  • Mine was set on naming our son after him. I very much was against that and felt a lot like you do..this is his second child (although his first is a girl) but he named her. But I feel like I should get a say as well, im carrying him and giving birth to him. I always thought I would name my son after my grandfather and my man didn't like that idea so we compromised. He suggested a name and I agreed. So he still kinda got his way by choosing the name and im not stuck fighting w him and feeling terrible about not naming his son after him. Also, we aren't married and that was a big deal to me when naming a kid after his father.
  • besides, let's get real... the man should be happy that the kid is having the last name. so make a smart choice and well good luck. A,real father must be committed to a family, not a freakin name.
  • edited August 2011
    @everyone Thank you for your opinions! I think I'm the most upset cause he just doesn't care. There was no like... I understand it means alot to you but I don't like it. Maybe it could be his middle name? Or anything... Just kind of has always been no, I don't like it. End of convo. Plus these hormones suck! Lol but I'm also almost at 36 weeks and we cannot agree on a name AT ALL. Its not like we have all of these other options and I want something he hates. We've both went through 30,000 names and still cannot agree! Boo, I guess we'll see but thanks again! It is much appreciated :X
  • I do think its both your child so you should compromise but... you picked a significant name to you and he picked a name that he thinks is "bad ass". Idk if I'm just being hormonal but ur name holds more value than his. Yours is your family that you can never get back. His is meaningless...:/
  • Hmmm, I have 3 friends that have named their girls Lyric. Never heard of it for a boy.
  • tell him it could be worse... my grandpa's name was dargon deolious.... you could wanna name him something like that
  • edited August 2011
    Nickname him Guitar Riff Cliff!

Do the nursery up in rock and roll designs.
  • I was gpn
  • Damn phone! Grrr... X(

I was gonna suggest Clifton Lyric as well. I have a buddy named Clifton and he is a skateboarder. He's badass ;)
  • My husband didn't like Achilles at first. I was crushed because I've wanted a son named Achilles for years. One night I was looking at names and said, "I dunno, I'm just so stuck on Achilles." He told me that if I really wanted that name, then he was ok with it too. I let him pick out the middle name Caramon. It's hard to come up with a name, but one will eventually sound right.
  • I've never heard of Lyric for a boy. He'll get teased mercilessly. Good luck
  • I have to say, I kind of see his point. I get wanting to honor a loved one, but you have to think this kid will go through his whole life with that name. (I think Lyric is kind of awful too though.) Would he go for naming the baby Cliff Lyric, but calling him Lyric, or are you wanting to call him Cliff too? I like using Cliff as a middle name, though, because then you would be honoring your loved ones, while still choosing a name that might fit your baby better. Good luck! Naming a baby is so hard!
  • @conreeaght Hahah that cracked me up!! His nursery theme IS rock-n-roll/guitars already!! I think that's why he likes the name Lyric!

I think it's feminine too and am scared he would get teased butttt good news! We agreed on one today lol maybe I should have posted this sooner... It seemed to bring good luck! His name is going to be Noah Clifford :D I love Noah and it is only fair to compromise... I am very happy with our choice, as is he!

@everyone Thank you again for your thoughts!! Like I said... Very appreciated!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I feel you. Idon't get a choice on my sons name even though we aren't married my bd and his whole family just assume that my son will follow there tradition. So I get william younger the fourth and I really wanted his middle name to be reid because that's my grandfathers name but my bd is the same way he just doesn't like it and wants to have his middle name be dirk. I'm like hello do I get a say in my childs name at all. You know that child that you didn't even want?? Men are so dumb and selfish sometimes
  • My dad died almost 2 years ago and my husband convinced me to namethe baby Michael oliver (if its a boy) my dads name and husbands middle name is Michael. Im terrified.. I plan on calling him Olly until im ready to say my dads name out loud. I do know in a few years (or maybe when im 50) I will be happy that I named my first born son after my dad/his father..

My point is, just because the first name is Lyric, doesn't meant you can't call him Cliff. In my experience other people will call the baby what the mom calls it... so give the kid the meaningful name of Cliff, and call him that..then he can decide what he wants to go by!
  • Oh, I love the name you ended up choosing!! Great choice!
  • Love the new name!!!
  • Excellent choice!