My Birth Story (& how I think I successfully induced myself) *Update - Pic Added! =)

edited August 2011 in Birth Stories
I had my beautiful baby girl, Makenzie Anne, on Monday at 12:27am. She was 7lbs 7oz and 18.5in long. Here's my story =)

On Sunday I was 37+4 weeks pregnant. At my doctor's appointment just a few days before I was only 1/2cm dilated and 50% effaced. My pregnancy with my second daughter went to over 41 weeks until they induced me so I didn't want that to happen again. I decided I was going to try all the simple things to jump start the process. Saturday my husband and I brought our daughters to the park. I made sure I was on my feet all day and did tons of walking around. We even walked around a huge lake which was very exhausting but so worth it. Sunday my husband and I had sex at about 3pm. I always got braxton hicks contractions after him and I would have sex. This time was no different. They started right away but were the same as every other time. So I started to do squats too hoping at the same time I would move my daughter down a little. I could only do 2 sets of 10 squats at a time, but I did them a few times over the next couple hours. The contractions were still coming but not hurting at all so I thought nothing of it. I also did the acupressure between my pointer finger and thumb. I honestly don't think that did anything but I have no real way of knowing so I figured I would add it in here. By about 5pm I started to feel the contractions and I knew they were no longer braxton hicks. They still didn't "hurt" though and couldn't even time them yet so I didn't think anything of it. This same thing happened the last time my husband and I had sex the week before. I got contractions for about 4 hours then they just stopped. I figured the same would happen this time. At this point I wanted to know if they were going to stop so I did things to try and make them stop (laid on my left side, changed positions, drank tons of water, ect). They weren't stopping. By 8pm they were 4-5 minutes apart and I was calling my mom asking her what she thought. They were also stronger now. I know most people would go to the hospital by this point but I didn't want to because I was still convinced they were going to stop and I would just get sent home. By 9:30 the contractions were really bothering me and they were 3 min apart. I couldn't walk or talk through them. That's when I decided to call the doctor. He said "This is your 3rd kid, if you are telling me you are in labor then I believe you so head on in". I was still so hesitant because I just didn't want to be sent home so I took my time getting ready. I finished packing my bags and had to get our other daughter's bags together. We packed up the car and headed to my mom's house to drop off our 2 daughters.

We didn't get to the hospital until 11pm. By the time I got up to labor & delivery my contractions were 2 minutes apart and they were hurting. They started my IV and when my doctor got there (about 20 minutes after me) he checked me and I was 8cm dilated already! I went from being able to tolerate the pain to practically in tears in just minutes. I wanted the epidural sooo badly but there was no time. I had it with my other 2 daughters and I couldn't imagine pushing a baby out without one. I had no choice though. They broke my water and by that time I knew it was time to push already. I had the urge to push and I felt like she was coming out! They checked me again and said i was right, it was time to push. My baby was head up so the doctor wanted to turn her. When I pushed the first time he successfully turned her. Then with my next push, she was out. 2 pushes! Makenzie Anne was born at 12:27am...only an hour and a half after I got to the hospital! I can't believe I stayed home until I was 8cm. Could you imagine if I procrastinated any longer getting to the hospital!

Learn from this - only truly try to induce yourself if your doctor gives you the okay because it just might work. And don't procrastinate getting to the hospital. If I got there sooner I would have been able to get the epidural and if I waited any longer my husband would have been delivering her on the side of the highway! LoL

Makenzie is healthy, happy and absolutely perfect! I have truly been blessed. Photobucket

Comments

• Congratulations!
  • Awww congrats, u r one tough mama
  • congratulations!!
  • that's a beautiful story. i am glad *most* of your labor was so "easy." congrats on the new babe!
  • Congrats!
  • Thanks guys! It was soooo fast. I was induced with my first 2 daughters and had very fast labors also (4 hours with one and 5 with the other) but I always assumed that was from the pitocin. It was very different going into labor on my own but Im glad I got to experience it =)
  • Thanks guys! It was soooo fast. I was induced with my first 2 daughters and had very fast labors also (4 hours with one and 5 with the other) but I always assumed that was from the pitocin. It was very different going into labor on my own but Im glad I got to experience it =)
  • Congrats!
  • Congrats!!!! I shall be following what you did to a t practically this wk end. I'm so ready and I'm pretty sure she's dropping as it is =)
  • Aww!! :) Look at how precious she is!! Congrats Momma!!
  • @rckprincess2 - Good luck! If she is dropping I definitely suggest the walking along with squats. Before I even felt the real contractions I had soooo much pressure down there and I'm sure that's why. I think that also helped with her coming out so fast when I did push.
  • Omg she is picture perfect!! What a dollbaby!!!
  • Congrats!!! She is such a beautiful angel :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Shes precious! Congrats! What a story, good job doing it w no epi... Ouch! ;)
  • Awwww So Cute Congrats
  • Yay! Congrats. :)
  • Awesome story! Congrats!
  • Wow! That's an awesome story you shared with us :) it's crazy how she came out just an hour and a half after you arrived at the hospital!!! I think I'm going to try at 37wks to walk my lil princess out too!!! She is so beautiful! Congrats! You inspired me ;)
  • That story gives me hope for when my time comes around. I did the same thing with my daughter. I walked sooo far, I wouldnt dare make that hike now...lol But I had her the next day. I will do the se with this one. Youre a champ for putting up with the contractions. I would say that was.an easy labor. I wouldnt mind that happening to me (except for the procrastination part :) I dread having to take pitocin again I was in so much pain that the epidural didnt work. They gave me so much that my daughter cried for a few seconds then fell asleep. Poor thing was drugged :( I love your story. Congrats
  • Thanks ladies! There definitely is hope when it comes to being able to jump start your labor. =)
  • Thanks ladies! There definitely is hope when it comes to being able to jump start your labor. =)
  • Congrats, she is beautiful! :)
  • congrats too cute :)
  • Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!! =) Its been over a week already now and all I can think of is how blessed I truly am!
  • Congrats Enjoy!!!
  • hopeing my birth story is like that .. but my dr doesnt do vag exams untill your in labor.. however when im 38wks im going to beg her to check me to see if i have any progression.. congradulations on you new additions .. shes beautiful <3
  • Awww congrats!!! Btw I loved your story it was like reading a book :)
  • I'm going to give this a try starting tonight!! Lol thanks for sharing ur story, an congrats!