Question about epidural and induction ???

edited August 2011 in Giving birth
so i am 41 weeks, and in about 17 hours i will be getting induced (yes i counted lol) and i have been hoping to have a natural birth without drugs, i don't want pethidine or anything because of the effects on the baby, but i'm not completely ruling out an epidural... although i would love to be able to go without it.
anyway, i was wondering for those who have had an epidural, did you go completely numb? were you still able to move around? did you have any difficulties pushing or anything?
and has anyone here managed to have a natural birth without anything for the pain even though they were being induced? i'm worried it will be hard considering i'm being induced.
please help :) thanks!

Comments

• I had an epidural with my sn
  • Ugh let me start over lol. I had an epidural with my son but it didn't work. I could move my feet, lift my legs, and I felt everything! To be honest, it wasn't bad. The hardest part is contractions and bearing down, pushing is the best feeling ever!

I tried going natural with my daughter but that didn't happen, my contractions were awful once I hit 5cm. The epi with her worked, my legs were numb as can be. I didn't feel much but a ton of pressure when she was crowning.

I say try going natural and see what happens, you may surprise yourself!
  • @BkE913 thanks for answering :)
    i think i will try! i'll have to get in the zone haha
  • I had the epidural, and my legs were numb and I couldn't move around, but I also didn't want too, lol! I slept through most of my labor and I only pushed a few times (less than 15 mins) before she was born.
  • I had the epidural with both of my girls. It doesn't hurt, I went numb but I could still move if I tried, but in bed. You can't get up for sure. If you get it, sleep as much as you can!! And no effects on pushing for me. My first was out in 37 minutes and second in 4 pushes.
  • @laura536 ok thanks :) haha that sounds like a good labour!
  • @MommyOfTwoPrincesses thanks, ok I'm gonna try go without the epi but its good to know in case I get it haha
  • No problem hun!! Just remember, do not tense up during contractions! Breathe and relax your body or it can stall your labor dramatically! Good luck!! :D
  • I'm gettn induce tomorrow sometiime too!! n I'm also 41w.. agh so over it!
  • @MommyOfTwoPrincesses thanks I will try to remember that! :)
  • @naliibby2 ooh goodluck! Hope it goes smoothly!
  • Honestly I tried to go natural but once I hit 5cm I was in excruciating pain. Also u need to remember that you can dilate if your not relaxed it took me 3 hours to go from 3 to 5 but after I got my epi I was doing 1 cm every 30 mins it was an amazing experience I got to enjoy the birth of my baby. It doesn't hurt at all the iv hurts more. I didn't let anyone influence my decision but I stayed open to different views and opinions. :)
  • @MissPrego ok it sounds like the epi is good to help you relax, I think i will try my best to relax and if I really can't then that's when I would need it.. but if I'm just in heaps of pain but able to relax I'm going to try my best to go natural
  • I'm havin my baby now an I have an epi. My legs aren't completely numb an I can still move em.jus can't walk. I can't feel contractions st all but I have a pain n my ass where his head is layin. They said it will only get worse.