my five month old is sick.:(

edited August 2011 in Health
He has a runny nose and he keeps coughing. He's been like this since last night. Is there anything I can do to make him feel better? Should I make a doctors appointment for him tomorrow?

Comments

• Does he clear his secretions by himself or do you suction him with a bulb? Does he have a temp? Is his breathing comfortable or does he seem to work hard? If the answers are no, he's probably got something viral he will get over on his own. If he's working or choking on mucus, take him in to see if he has something more than a cold. My son gets that way when he has an ear infection and that requires antibiotics. Good luck :)
  • @rtmommy I get it all out with the suction bulb. He has no temp, and he isn't breathing mike he usually does. He's breathing a bit harder than most of the time.
  • Try putting vapor rup on his forehead or cheast.
  • rather than sucking his nose out w/ a bulb syringe, which can irrirate his tiny nasal passages, use a few drops of saline designed for babies to help him sneeze it out. If his cough is comming from his chest, run a hot shower and shut the bathroom door so the bathroom outside the shower steams up. Hold him there (outside the shower) for 10-15 min. Never use vics vapor anything with kids under 2 it can irritate passages!
  • @cupcake22 I remember getting ear infections whenever I was younger. Those were horrible. I hope he just has a cold and it goes away. I will make sure they check out his ears though. Thanks!

@math_mommy that's why I hate using the bulb. Can't you make the saline drops yourself though? I live about thirty minutes away from town, so I don't want to go there unless I can't make some.

@proudmommy8789 do they make some for babies?
  • not totally sure about diy saline drops...i would think as long as the solution you make is sterile, and made from purified water (chlorine and heavy metal free). It would be okay.
  • I use regular and my doc didnt say anything about it when I told her. You can,also put it on his,feet and put socks,on him