Best Convertable Carseat

edited August 2011 in Equipment & Supplies
So I'm looking for one that'll last a while. One that goes from rear facing to forward facing. Something that's easy to get baby in & out of the seat itself. Maybe one that also has one of those bottoms that stays in the car & I just click the seat in or pop it out when getting baby out the car. I just don't know what to look for. Haven't gone seat searching yet.
Also is Avent a good bottle?? For when I pump? Might get a pump thru my hospital/insurance so I'm not sure on pump brand yet.

Comments

• Britax. I got into a car accident with my oldest and she didn't even get moved. Its the only brand we trust. Go to albeebaby.com, they have them for good discounts
  • I was searching consumer reports & saw britax up there! @snreda but I saw they were running up towards $200. I'm looking to spend under $100. But I'm off to check that site...thanks!
  • They are expensive but last. We just took my 4yr old out of it and put her in a booster, but it holds from 5 to like 65 lbs
  • I have the whole chicco travel system with car seat and stroller, haven't gotten to use it yet but it's meant to last until they're 30lb http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/travel-systems/cortina-30lb-systems/travel-systems-30-miro.aspx I'm so excited to use it :-)
  • @snreda can you take the seat out like the infant seat & take it in the store or carry it around??

@pawgio I saw some of the travel systems too. I never had these options with my first. People just bought me things & I used them. 11yrs ago! Its all new to me.
  • @pawgio cute design! Now does that one face forward too?
  • Should I buy online? Or check it out at a store first? I'm thinking id like to actually see & handle the product before I buy.
  • I really liked having both the travel system (since it doubles as a carrier) and a converitable car seat. The one we have for my 3 1/2 yo is an evenflo I think we paid over 100 but babies r us is more expensive. It goes rear facing 5 to 30ish lbs and forward facing after a year. It should work out great my son is almost big enough for a booster and by then my baby will most likely be outgowing the infant car seat. Buy online maybe check the store to see in person but online is always cheaper. Did you know that like half the items at walmart are cheaper online and you buy online and have sent to the store via their site to store pickup and pay no shipping. Example my must have item the snugabunny cradle swing 133 online 150 in the store??
  • I'm actually not sure if it faces forward or not :-\ I haven't put it in my car yet! The whole system is so simple though you can do everything with one hand and the car seat is super light! I don't know how many stores actually carry it my grandma just sent it to me, I had no input so I was nervous, but I'm very happy with it, plus it's super cute :-)
  • I was going to use just a convertable car seat for my first that was good for rear facing and goes to a booster. Once we were at the hospital about to leave hubby brought the car seat up to put our son in and get belts adjusted for him, and the thing looked sooo huge and he looked so tiny. He was 9lbs 5oz at birth so he wasn't a little baby. It just didn't look very safe with so much extra room all around. We didn't have the money to go buy a carrier system but my SIL was due 5 months after my son was born and already purchased the carrier system. She was wonderful and let us borrow it until she had her daughter. Once my son was 5 months we started using the convertable seat rear facing. We are still using the same seat and he's now 2 and a half. I love the seat! Its a safety 1st alpha elite. Hope all that info helps some.
  • No it stays in, thats the only downfall
  • @one5one try going to the store and look then order the actual carseat.online.because it is cheaper that way. Thats what I did but that was 3yrs ago. (crazy.phone)
  • @socalMOMMA2boys evenflo travel system. That's a infant car seat/carrier with stroller. Right? But its not convertible or is it? I saw the online & its cheaper!! I need a snuggabunny too lol! So site to store you pay online then pick up at store? No shipping & handling? Or can I ship to home for same price?
  • @pawgio it is cute! I have no grandparents or parents ao its all me & hub. But I did have a shower....mostly clothes! No shampoo or soap or lotion! Its like people forgot to get it! Guess babys don't need anything but clothes right! Lol most things I got for my first was from parents & gramma so I didn't care too much. But its all gone! 11 yrs ago so I gave most things away.
  • edited August 2011
    @jadelman0211 so it looked big. Hmm. Did you have any of those head protectors? It helps them stay snug in big things so they don't move around. I saw that brand it looked good! I just don't wanna spend more than I needto or have. Plus no one is having babys but me! So I can't borrow anything.
  • @snreda oh I see. Yea I think I might need to have one that comes out.
    @i_believe it looks like that's what ill need to do. Thanks
  • My mom is getting the alpha elite for my baby i. Her car. She doesn't want to have to deal with getting another caraway in 6 month's cause no infant carrier is convertable.
  • Yeah we had the head protector thing. Plus the strap protector things. If we wouldn't of had one to borrow we would of made due with it. We wouldn't of been able to buy a new one. Maybe start looking at garage sales. You can get carriers for less than $20. The covers come off pretty easy and are able to be thrown in the washer.
  • @feb2012mommy looks like a lot of moms like the alpha elite. But in 6 months isn't she gonna have to get another seat? One for bigger older kids? One that faces forward?
  • @jadelman0211 it might be to late for garage sales. I'm almost due...ina lil more than 5 wks. Plus they don't have many here. I do want something safe as well. With used, you never know if the seat is damaged or been in an accident. Or even expired. I saved my daughters seat but it expired in 2006.
  • The alpha elite is a 3 in one it goes from a rear facing 5-40 lbs to fordfacing with a hardness to 60 lbs and a booster with the car seat belt to 100lbs there american pediatric association now recommends that a child is rear facing for to years and the rearfacing weight of the seat. Even if there legs are "to long" they can cross them or put them against the back of the seat but rear facing 2 yrs is what the experts now say. Hope this helps. And its going to be hardto find a 3n1 or even a 2n1 that is under $100.
  • Another good one is the track my ride 65.
  • My envenflo car seat is not a travel system its a convertable car seat. It still goes back and forward facing and you can use it as early as 5 lbs. I used this after I was done with my travel system. You really need both but not right away. Get the travel system first and use that until baby is too big for the infant car seat then switch to the convertable car seat. Walmart site to store yes pay online and get text message when its ready pick up with id. No shipping handling or anything added but tax. Yes the ship to home as well for 97 cents on some items. It seemed to me like every item was either site to store for free or ship to home for 97 cents.
  • @feb2012mommy yea I heard about this new law where babys are required to face the rear til 2. It seems odd to me. Its been 11 yrs since my first & she faced forward before 1 I think. So the alpha is 3in1. I'm just wondering if I should go convertible or go infant then convertible. Not decided yet. But its something I can bring up to the dr on wed when I go. Thanks for info!!
  • @socalMOMMA2boys I still figuring it all out. Its all new to me. Everything seemed simpler back then with my first. But 97¢ per item or for the whole thing...like if I buy 3 items. Either way its not a bad price! I still gotta get a seat, a bath, the cradle swing, & a diaper bag. Besides all the shampoo, lotions, baby washing soap, dreft.....etc. It would've been nice if people actually looked & the registery to see what I NEEDED instead of them getting what they thought was cute. Mostly got clothes! I have more than enough. Now I gotta buy everything else. What a waste of my time to register! Ugh!