Breast Pumps...need advice!!!!

edited August 2011 in Equipment & Supplies
soo I'm a first time mom and I want to breast feed and pump. I'm getting the closer to nature Tommee Tippee for bottles and whatnot and was gonna get the breast pump of the same brand but I read bad reviews on it saying it doesn't suck very well...and I guess it can only do one breast at a time. What did you already mom's use and find successful? I don't want to buy one and it not work and be stuck with a hundred and something dollar pump that doesn't work very well! Thanks!

Comments

• Bump... i'd like to know too.. other girls experiences n what they use
  • Well I havent had my daughter yet but after researching and talking to the lactation consultant I purchased the madela pump in style advance pump. I've read many excellent reviews and heard great things about the brand. I'm having my daughter tomorrow and plan to start pumping soon after so that my hubby can get in on the action so I'll let you know how it does.
  • awesome, yes please let me know! that's one of the ones I was reading reviews on. It's sometimes just hard when looking at reviews online cuz you never know if it's a real person or someone being paid to write it. @kcike812
  • I am borrowing a pump from wic, its the Medela symphony. It's the same one I used in the hospital and it works great. Don't let anyone talk you into a hand pump, they suck, but not literally lol
  • @starrxoxo9 i pumped 10oz from one boob with a hand pump!!
  • @proudmommy8789 wow!! The hand pump I used barely even moved my nipple lol what kind was it??
  • @starrxoxo9 its the medela hand pump that wic give out. i hate hand pumping though but its a good pump
  • Medela! If you have Medicaid you get a free one. My OB filled a prescription and I got it when I was discharged from hospital. :)
  • i have a Medela electricl pump that works great! its in a "backback" type carrying case. It works great! and i also have one of those Medela hand pumps and itsnice to have for pumping after baby has nursed (to empy breasts, or work to increase supply) u know when u only need to pump for a few minutes...way easier then dragging all the stuff out! it works just as good just ur hand gets tired! it came with a cone that is softer plastic that gives rather than the hard plastic ones...and i sometimes put that cone on my electric pump if i have a sore boob!
  • Those are the same bottles I have and they are great :) I have a medela one but it is only a single pump. I paid 80.00 for it and its great even tho its only a single. It has a cord or you can use batteries and take it anywhere. Its just a little thing so doesn't take up much room
  • I have the medela pump in style advance. It's so quick! Especially when you're tired or have to tend to your kids. You can always buy the storage bottles for it and pour into the bottle you prefer
  • I have an Evenflo double electric pump and I hate it but it works for now...its so loud and it doesn't suck really well...I also have an Avent hand pump and it works but breaks every 10 minutes...the one I used in the hospital was amazing...it was Medela
  • @mommy2b06 which Medela did you get with the script?
  • Definately medela double electric..expesive but worth it, especially if you plan to nurse long term and hv to return to work.
  • The medela pumps are sold at Burlington coat factory (baby depot) if you have one near you... they are $100 cheaper then they are anywhere else!
  • @mama082711 a double electric. its like a pump and style but mine is just the pump no backpack or tote. It works wonderful, and I was so happy to get one for free. Although I only used mine about a week. :(
  • @mommy2b06 what state do you live in
  • I got an electric single pump, and I only lasted 3 weeks. Definetly get the double to save time because you are going to be tied.to your couch with your pump.attatchd to you ot your baby.attatched to you 24/7! Its so exausting and time.consuming I had no idea what I was.getting myself into. Hopefully next baby ill be more mentally prepared snd can breast feed longer. Definetly get the lanolin cream for your nipples, and shells or gel pads to ease the pain. Ans medela is a great product. Dont try to be cheap with the pump especially if you plan to do it for a while it will be worth every cent and.youll still spend less than if you were buying formula! Goodluck
  • I got a free double electric from the hospital that wprks alright, its Purely Yours. If youre looking for something real cheap though, I bought a Lanisoh manual pump (for when Im out and about), and I LOVE IT. Like 30 bucks, so comfy, and pumps just as well as the electric.