How can I make more milk

edited August 2011 in Breastfeeding
Any tips that are known to work? I'm pumping every 3-4 hours, but I'm only getting around 2 ounces. My little man was born the 23rd premature and has pneumonia, so hes receiving antibiotics thru an iv until friday afternoon. He wants nothing to do with actual breastfeeding, and gets so pissed. Hes also so little and my boob blocks his nose holes. I've been pumping and at first I was getting a good amount, but now its diminishing. Hes being bottle fed both my milk and formula for calories. But when he gets home id like him to be on just my milk. Any help???

Comments

• I HEARD drinking a beer helps.. now if that is accurate im not sure...i know pumping as often as possible does help too but i know youll have trouble because baby was early
  • @kritten_octoberbby when my milk came in when he was about 3 days old I was getting over 4 ounces every 3 hours. But yesterday I've only been to get about 2 :( and I really want him to drink my milk bc hes sick and little, its best for him.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Have you tried fenugreek? Beer works too but you wouldn't want to risk having alcohol which is a depressent on the nervous system in your milk esp. with your little man being born premature and all.
  • That's all u should b getting at a time cuz that's all he could eat at this point. U need to try massaging ur breasts b4 pumping tho is they r rock hard because its hard to pump a boob statue... :)
  • I did see about some cookies that help produce more milk, try googleing breaatfeeding cookies or something like that. They weren't cheap tho.
  • I pumped 7oz this morning but only bc I didn't pump for a while, but I dont let them get hard or uncomfortable, I just wait until theres a slight tingle then I pump. What is fenagreek?@mommy2isiahngiselle @charotteb @finallyaboy he wasnt really premature, I delivered 37w3d, but they consider that premature until 38 weeks. idk I just need to make this boob juice
  • Not here, 37 weeks is full term. I had 2 babies at 36-6 and one of those was almost 8 pounds... Chunko. Lol!!
  • Does it really work or is it gimic
  • edited August 2011
    It really works. Substances that increase milk production are called galactagogues... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactagogue
  • I love pancakes
  • I hear that if you pump one breast while feeding with.the other it helps
    . Idk tho I'm ftm.
    Good luck!
  • @jay_brad I can't because he wants nothing to do with it. Hes been in the special care nursery and has been getting bottles, so hes grown used to that :-/
  • Oh lord :/ so you're just strictly pumping? Then feeding him out of bottle??
    then I suggest trying to pump more often.. gradually of course... other than that idk? I'm sure there's something to help. Sorry I'm not anymore help :(
  • Try to get him to breastfeed anyway....even if its for a few minutes. Pump every two to th ree hours. Fenugreek....lots of water. And eat oatmeal, it helps
  • Try the nipple shield to help him grab your boob. And drink a lot of water pump at exactly 2 hours keep doing it at least 10 mins that the last drop of milk came out also fenugreek and milk thistle pills 3 pils 3times a day eat well rest enough and don't stress yourself more stress equals less milk oatmeal (not the quick one)
  • Its my 5th day on fenugreek and I haven't noticed a change :( I'm drinking lots of water....does it take awhile to kick in?
  • Ok thanks :) @Mommy2IsaiahNGiselle I almost stopped taking them cause I thought they weren't gonna work.
  • edited August 2011
    @homebirthadvocate I've been drinking a lot of water, my husband doesn't want me to take any herbs, so Im not doing that. What kind of oatmeal? Also theres like a gooey orange booger that sometimes come from my boob, what is that? I seem to be getting more breastmilk out since I drank a bunch of water. how long should I pump each side?
  • My baby was premature. I pumped every 3 hrs around the clock. after the first couple of weeks my supply doubled. Hang on there. I was getting 5 oz each pumping by the time she came home after 4 weeks