Rice cereal at 2months old?

edited September 2011 in Babies
My son's pediatrician told me to start him on rice cereal at 2 months old. Has anyone heard of that? @HomeBirthAdvocate?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mommy2IsaiahNGiselle he doesn't have that and he's definitely not lacking in the weight department so I don’t know why he wants me to start him on it so early?
  • If you don't think it's necessary, then I wouldn't do it. I'm surprised a ped would recommend it before 4 months for no reason. Usually its for acid reflux or weight gain.
  • I was told babies can't digest anything like that so young.
  • He's 11lbs and 7 weeks old! He's a big boy. I wasn't gonna do it anyway but I was just wondering if anyone had heard of it being started that early.
  • My ped told me to start it with my son at 6 weeks because he was wanting to eat every hour to two hours and he was draining me being that I was exclusively breastfeeding. So I would pump a couple times a day and add the rice cereal. Now at 8 weeks he is finally spread his feelings out to 3 hours and 4 hours with the cereal added.
  • I switched my baby to Enfamil AR which stands for "added rice". She was spitting up alot on gentlease. Its way thicker, and it has added rice POWDER, not cereal, and its a formula. I did have to have nipples with faster flow. She is 2 months old and this week slept through the night 3 times. :) she is much happier and not eating as much because it is staying down. Not completely....but mostly. I think she has reflux too, because she only sleeps through the night if she is elevated...aka sleeps in carseat.
  • I don't believe in rice cereal bottles that young fyi...it makes babies overweight. But im ok with the Enfamil AR.
  • @mama_busy_bee oh it wouldn't be a bottle. I breast feed so i'd add some of my breast milk to it and spoon feed it to him once a day.
  • Oh i missed that is he old enough to go back and forth from bottle to breast?