The sex talk

edited September 2011 in Parenting
I was wondering about this the other day. I'm kind of nervous about giving my girl "the sex talk" when the time comes. I know that'll be far far away from now but it kinda made me nervous. How will you approach your son or daughter about "the sex talk"

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Do you watch Glee? Kurts dad gives him a really good sex talk.

I think Im gonna focus more on the emotion of it and protection. His dad can cover the logistics, and more protection.
  • Nope I don't watch glee. @CaptainMorgaine I'm getting nervous just thinking about talking to her about it, but I know it has to be done.
  • Lol yeahhh...Ive got a boy, and Im SURE hes not going to want his mom talking to him about that kind of thing. But I dont want him thinking that sex is necessarily bad, and I want him to be able to come to me if he needs help.

And he WILL be taking sex ed.
  • Hehee. I told my nine year old the jiff off sex a couple months ago. It's apart of my everyday work so the subject comes easy for me. How old is ur daughter I can help u with tips n stuff easy
  • Lol the funny thing is she's not born yet.Lmao! But I'm freaking out at the thought of it. @mandac10
  • The education staff at your local planned parenthood can probably give you some good tips and provide resources. I used to work at one in Philly are they are very knowledgeable.
  • Lol! Ok really just sit her down n tell het the truth and I'm glade I did. Its best to know the facts at a young age because they will hear things from friends. When she hits 12-13 ill give a talk with more details and talk about bc and stuff. Now I told her how babies are made. And yes I gave her details about the penis and inserting and all that. They need to know so some creepo doesn't try doing things. And my daughter is scared of getting sick so I made sure she knew there are nasty Stds that can kill u. Lol! Like I said talking about sex is what I do so it was easy for me.
  • Lol. Omg! Haha how did she react? @mandac10 @blueberrysmom thanks
  • I always just figured one day he will walk in on daddy and I, and that's when I will tell him the basics
  • She was grossed out! Lol she said you did that! Ewwe! That's so gross mom! Lol!
  • Lol. Hopefully she'll thinks about what mom says whenever she decides to engage on the act.lol @mandac10
  • A big thing is u want that relationship with ur daughter. Look at the mistakes u made with sex. Look at all the young women and unwanted pregnancies. U need that bond. Let them know they can come to u for bc and condoms and stuff. Being open with ur child can help prevent a big big accident. Let them know the dreams u have for them make them want to take re world head on explain how sex and stuff can ruin it and to take th right precaution. If my mom talked to me and gave mr support things would've been way different for me.
  • Yep. I will have a relationship with mine and let her know/show her she can come to me about anything and won't have to sneak around @mandac10
  • I'm having a boy, so Imma aproach it like... HEY JOHHHHNNN.... This one is on you :P LOL
  • okay actually no, Ill drop the puberty one on bd, sex talk, I don't trust him with... But I really don't know
  • Yeah I never got the sex talk, I found out about sex watching TV. I want my son to know its what people who love each other do, and I'm not going to be in denial thinking he's not going to have sex till he's married. I lost my virginity at 16 and my boyfriend lost his at 14 . I want him to know when he is ready, what can happen, and how to get protection, and how to treat the girl he's with.
  • im gunna tell my son . look boy dont have sex until you are ready to put up with a woman crying yelling getting fat puking peeing and then giving birth to something that is going to do the eaxct same thing. ask your daddy im sure he was ready to murder me by the time you were born and you need to make sure you are prepared for that and if you think you are heres a box of condoms use them! LOL
  • well i have a 5 and 6 1/2 yr old right now. so i have thought about this long before now. esp because my daughter mostly is curious about periods, etc. i am keeping the conversation open. so as she asks questions, we answer with age appropriate answers. they have sex ed. here in our state starting in 5th grade= roughly 10 yrs old. so i plan to give more info as she ages closer to 10 yrs. i dont want her to hear everything for the first time from school. not only do we include the aspect of God's will and our beliefs, but i want to be sure even though we advocate for abstinence until marriage, we will teach her protection, etc.
  • Sex ed is good but I don't think they go in death in it. I know many of my friends had sex ed in what middle school and some turned out pregnant.