vasectomy please

edited September 2011 in Pregnancy and fathers
So I was happy with one child. My hubby kept begging for another. He promised he would get a vasectomy after. So today we were talking and I brought it up and told him to schedule a consultation. Now he's refusing and saying he wants a 3rd child. He's stuck on having a son. There is no guarantee that we will end up wih a boy. I feel to old for another and simply don't want to have another PERIOD. Should I get my tubes tird since he has gone back on his word? I don't want to cause a huge issue in my marriage but this is important to me. Birth control doesn't work for me. Can't tolerate the hormones and I had the Paraguard IUD 3 times. Twice the came out on their own and once I developed inflammation in one of my tubes. I wanted to try again but my doc refused to place another. Very understandable. What now?

Comments

• How about essure? Its a permanent birth control but non surgical and you walk right out of the doctors office right after with no cuts at all :)
  • That's a tough one. Especially since you don't want to cause problems. BUT he should also be understanding of your decision. You already comprimised to have one more. And now he needs to comprimise on that being all. I would get my tubes tied if he isn't willing to get the operation done to himself. No offense, but he's being very selfish..
  • He makes me feel like I'm the selfish one but I would be wrong to have another child knowing I truly didn't want to. What is it with men that think they need a son. He'd never forgive for getting sterilized behind his back but that may be my only option. Im torn.
  • Tubes tied ultimately in the end its your body. If it is something you feel absolutely sure your done being pregnant, having more children.
  • He just found out his best friends wife is preggo again. They already have 2 boys. I think that my be part of it. Its making his desire fore a son even stronger. I feel bad for him but my God my body can't take it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mrs the issue isn't just the vasectomy. Im willing to have my tubes tied. I held up my end of the barging by having a second child. If I do have a 3rdsecond and its another girl is it fair for him to go back on his word again? Having a boy was never apart of our agreement. There's no way to guarantee a boy. Im a woman of my word and feel all people should be. That's what upsets me the most is him going back on his word again
  • No advice but id love a son..hubbys the iffy one and understandably so..he has 2 girls with his ex (who has a son with her husband) and this is our second girl. I joked with a nurse once a couple years back that we'll keep trying till we get a boy...she in turn told me about a Friend who has 7 sisters and 1 brother...the brother was adopted!
  • edited September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maybe he is trying not to get a vasectomy by saying he wants more kids, not many like the idea of having their little friend on a doctors hand, try talking to him before you do anything that causes an issue in your marriage.
  • edited September 2011
    yes the agreement was made yrs ago. We had many discussions about it. Communication was never an issue isn't this all came out the blue. At one of my OB appointments when they asked about BC he told my doc he was getting a vasectomy. In fact the vasectomy was his idea because he didn't want me to have my tubes tied. It was his sacrifice since I had to go through labor. Lol
    I did ask about adoption but he said he doesn't think he could really love it like his own.
  • @janet_2011 My hubby has actually assisted during many and he thinks its kinda cool. He planned to video his own. He's such a medical junky. Lol
  • I wouldn't get my tubes tied without my husband being on the same page as me. I can't even imagine how hurt I'd be if my husband got a vasectomy and didn't tell me. Especially knowing I wanted another child. I honestly think it's something that could end your marriage, if his heart is really set on another baby.

My husband was completely set on only having one baby, even though we'd talked about having 2 or more before we were married. I was devastated. I didn't want my daughter to be an only child. I really felt grief at the thought that she'd never have a chance to have the close relationship I have with my siblings and his change of heart was a constant source of stress in our relationship. We waited 5 years before he felt like he was ready to try for baby #2. If he had gone behind my back and gotten permanent birth control, we'd be in divorce court. So I can kind of understand where your husband is coming from.

On the other hand, I'll turn 30 the week after this baby is born and it's been so much harder this time than when I was 24. I'm exhausted and definitely done. We're on our second girl as well, and his family is really pushing us to try again, because he's the only boy. They also are not seeming to understand that you don't get to pick and I could easily have another girl and I'm not having 10 kids to get a boy.

Anyway, that's a lot of words to say, I think you both need to be on the same page before you choose permanent birth control. Try to talk about a few more times and try to stay calm. Hopefully, he sees your side!
  • I had my tubes tied 19 moths ago and am pregnant with number four. Due in October. A tubal isn't 100% a fix
  • @laura536 I'm also in my 30's and its a different ball game than 7 yrs ago. Im sure we will discuss it again but I kind of feel like I can't take his word anymore. We compromised on one more. What would be the next compromise? I guess I could use this as leverage to get my convertible.
  • Idk I still think he is being selfish. Not in the sense that he wants a boy, but in the sense that he went back on his word and wants to have more kids for his own benefit..who says one of your girls won't be a tomboy?? Or like the same things he does? I would just let him know that you're firm on your decision. Yes his body is his, but your body is also yours. You shouldn't be forced to have another child if you KNOW you don't want one. It will most likely just cause resentment towards your child, and that's not fair to them.
  • @MrsG do u use child care or work opposite each other?
  • edited September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lol at the convertible. I do see your point, like if you had another girl, where would he stop? My husband totally doesn't get the physical part of being pregnant and it doesn't help that I don't really get that big preggo belly, so he totally thinks I shouldn't be complaining, lol. Too bad he can't have #3!
  • I agree this is something you both need to decide on. I'm Pregnant with our first and its a boy. I told hubby were not stopping till I get a girl!!
  • edited September 2011
    @mylittleblessing Ive thought alot about the resentment issue and you're right. That is a big concern for me as well. Honestly it took me awhile to come to terms with this pregnancy. We planned to start trying in May but God had different plans. Now I'm excited but initially I was dreading it because I knew I really was doing it for him and didn't want anymore. I worry about the days when she is fussy. What thoughts will go through my head? I would never hurt my child but I hat e the thought of being annoyed with her when its not her fault.
  • Yeah, Its definitely not her fault at all. I also told bd that we aren't having more than two or 3. But most likely 2. He tried saying that he wants at least one of each and won't stop til he gets one of each...he's crazy! Lol

Have you tried explaining to your husband that you don't want anymore because of your fears of resentment? Resentment can cause many issues between mother and child..
  • Im dealing with the same thing right now. We have 2 kids an I want to get my tubes tied but my hubby wants a boy. I don't want anymore. I signed the tubal papers but I don't want yo go through with it without his blessing. I know its backwards but my grandma wanted a girl an she had 9 boys, number 10 was a girl lol.