drinking while breastfeeding

edited September 2011 in Breastfeeding
everywhere that ive read and everyone that ive asked has said that the 24 hr pump and dump method is no longer what to go on n that its pretty much like when its out ur blood its out of ur milk. but one of my really good friends who has 5 kids of her own said that its bull n that i DO have to pump&dump. so for those of you who breast fed and drank, how did you guys do it?
i forgot to mention that i'm going out tonight and for the past couple days i have been pumping and saving up for tonight and have MORE than enough for tonight.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • this is what i found online and the site so you can check it out...seems pretty legit to me?
    You say that you want to go out and have a couple drinks and mention pumping and dumping. You should know that alcohol in your milk doesn't remain there. It works the same as it does in your blood. Once the alcohol is out of your blood, it's also out of your milk. So only pump if you are going to miss a couple of nursings and want to keep up your supply or to relieve any engorgement you might have while you are away from your baby. You can also pump before you drink if you want to have some milk on hand to feed your baby if you feel like you're still going to be intoxicated at the next feeding. Don't think you have to do it because alcohol is going to stay in your milk long after you've been drinking. You don't have to get rid of any milk. It doesn't work that way.
    http://babyparenting.about.com/od/breastfeeding/f/pumpdump.htm
  • Iv heard the one method like @caffeinated_katie said. Iv also heard its best to pump all that u can b4 drinking so a few feedings is covered.
  • I dump the first batch and have the test strips for the second batch
  • @newmomma16 you are exactly.right. Once the alcohol is out of your blood stream it will be out of your milk. There is no reason to pump and dump unless you are trying to keep up production. You can also try the test strips. It should be about one hour per drink to clear your system, but remember that everyone metabolizes the alcohol different rates.
  • thank you everyone...i didnt end up going out(cus the crappy weather :-q ) but at least i will know for the future. :-D
    @caffeinated_katie @oregonmama @emy @lala15 @new_baby_in_oct
  • @new_baby_in_oct where can u get the test strips?
  • @newmama16 thanks for posting this info I'm all xcitedd now! imma have a cup of rum n coke :)
  • Thnks for the post! I'm having a few drinks tonight and was wondering as well
  • i was just thinking... i dont think its going to be fun pumping while im drunk... lol! so i personally dont think im going to drink until im done lol!
  • edited September 2011
    I got them at target @naliibby2
  • edited September 2011
    i heard you can get them at rite aid although i dont really shop there so i dont know for sure. & ur welcome :)>- @naliibby2 @jazzi89, i tried looking to see if there was any past posts first and there wasnt.
  • @lala15 ok thanks! bby section? or pharmacy section?
  • Baby section by the breast feeding stuff