Older Siblings and C-section

edited September 2011 in Giving birth
My kids (14,12,10) all want to be at the hospital when the baby is born. Here is the problem. It is of course scheduled for a school day (Sep 30) and we have no adults to sit with them in the waiting room. My husband is worried he will be distracted worrying about them waiting in the waiting room, and won't be able to focus on the baby and I. But I can't imagine not letting them meet her asap after she's born. I know it will take a few hours to get through surgery and recovery, but I also don't want them to have to wait all day. Am I being ridiculous and should I just let them go to school that day? Or be irrational and make my oldest watch her brothers in the waiting room? Hubby said he would pick them up as soon as baby and I are settled into our room, but it just seems like it's going to be ALL DAY! I think I'm being irrational, I need someone, other than my husband to set me straight. Haha! Any ideas or advice?

Comments

• I let all my kids miss school to be at the hospital while I labored but I have a 17,2,9 n also no family her my daughter actually stayed home till I got out of hospital n the school excused her absences! I don't think its irrational if u think bring them ur kids r old enough to behave!
  • I kept my son (6 y.o.) out of school. I had csec which was done in less than an hour and my son was allowed to go into the nursery w/hubs right away. It was a couple hours all together until we were settled into recovery room but I wouldn't have had it any other way! :)
  • You may want to check with labor and delivery to make sure that your oldest is old enough to wait out in the waiting room all that time with the other two kids. If they say yeah its fine..I would just make sure that they have something to keep entertained. But I think that its a great idea.
  • I think the siblings should be there and I plan on having my two at the hospital when I go into labor. I have a 10 year old an a 6 year old. When I went on the tour of the hospital I specifically asked what their policy was about kids being in the room and they said it was ok, although they had a little concern about my 6 year old seeing me in pain....if I have to pull them out of school I will. My kids would e crushed if they couldn't be there.

Does your oldest have control of the younger kids when she watches them? If so than I see nothing wrong with her watching them....stress to them the importance of behaving and maybe even give them an bribe...who ever behaves the best will get to old the baby first....and make sure you have items to keep them occupied! Good luck
  • thanks everyone. I am going to read these to hubby, see if it compels him to change his mind :)
  • Wow our situations r soooooo similar lol I have 2 boys 15 n 10
    c sec scheduled for the 29th......since my boys r always acting crazy n wild they will b going to school im not wanting to worry about what they r doing n who they r torturing while im in surgery/recovery! And hubby will b able to focus on me n baby since we r the ones that need it most right then! The boys will have plenty of time with their new sister soon enough!
  • I haveget s c sesection next week. My son (9) will b going to school. He can't sit still for 10 minutes much less an hr or so lol. But he will b there as soon as he's out of school.
  • I have my csection scheduled for 9/26 @7:30 am. My kids 10 & almost 7 are going to school. This way my husband & I can have some alone time with our new daughter & I will have time to recover from surgery. He will meet them @ the house after school & then bring them to seee & meet their new sister!!! \:D/
  • Ok after talking to hubby, and kids, and getting advice from all of you and others. I've decided we will have them go to school, and bring them to the hospital after the baby and I are in our room. I dont want the kids to be sad, but they decided it would be easier to go to school and the older two were worried about missing class :). So, thanks Pregly Pals. I need the right perspective and you all helped me. Now just to remember to tell my hubby to pick them up at 3:30, haha