Should I....

edited September 2011 in Giving birth
..have my boyfriend stay with me during my whole entire labor or allow him to get in as many hours at work until I'm like... 5-7cms dilated?

I'm sure he's going to want to call off work and stay with me the whole time but I'm just curious. He's been working extra hours these past 2 weeks, just in case, so he can afford to loose a day of pay. Currently, with me not working, not a whole lot of money is being brought into the house right now. He works a lowly minimum wage job being paid a whopping 7.40/hr but he works(and we live) about 5 minutes away from the hospital I will be delivering at.

What do you guys suggest?

Comments

• Could he leave work at moments notice?
  • Yeah. The store he works at is very family oriented/friendly and everyone knows and understands the situation. They've been expecting him to call in or need to leave work any day now.
  • If u need the money id let him work. My hubby will b there the day of her birth, but he's gonna work during my 3 day hospital stay.
  • Sounds like he could still work until you're like a 5 or so. I know my husband will still be going to work and I am staying at home until I nearly can't walk.
  • Id say have him work until then. If he'll be that close then if you start progressing quickly he can be there before you're at 8(I hope!). I know sometimes it can take hours. BTW that's really great his job is like that :)
  • I went from 4cm to 10cm in less than 20mins. My mom was walking the halls at the hospital and barely had time to get back to the room before my son arrived and it was my 1st baby. Just letting u know u can progress very fast at the end.
  • @Kingsmama

Yeah, that's true. I'm guessing that I'm going to leave it up to him to decide. Although, if my body doesn't work with me and I end up needing to be induced, then, I won't have to worry about chance.
  • I was induced and progressed that fast. So keep that in mind too :) total labor and delivery was 7hrs for me!
  • My moms labor with my brother was only an hour and a half...
  • It depends on if you want to take the risk that if you to progress quickly he might miss the birth... If you stay at home till it gets too much to handle then go in I would personally have him with me from then on, its what im planning to do if my partner is working when I go into labour. Atleast he will then be there when I need the support the most and wont risk missing the birth... But thats just what I found will work for me, im sure you will work out whats best for you guys.