Babys last name advice!

ok so me && my bf aren't married n just had my bby girl. I close his last name for her because I thought thats what was right. I'm lookin back now regreting it kinda bcuz my daughter doesn't have the same last name as me : / ... my dad also told me to not choose his last name due to her future n health insurance n stuff? which I don't think it would effect that? I know my bf wants her to have his last name just as bad too but idk.. kinda wishing I thought bout this more before we put her last name on everything : / bd doesn't wana get married yet n I kinda feel the same..well I would love to marry him but I feel like we still need sum work before we do all that. my plan was never to have this beautiful girl b4 marriage but it happened..so just believing god has a plan for mee..MY QUESTION NOW IS: SINCE HER LAST NAME IS SAME AS HER DADS ND WERE NOT MARRIED HOW WILL THAT EFFECT Me && HER FUTURE??

Comments

• so far it hasnt affected me at all, just sort of an inconvenience if anything. My son is 7 (his father and I are not together)
  • I don't regret giving my daughter her fathers last name but sometimes it annoys me we don't have the same name
  • It doesn't really affect you too much at all. It can be a pain, because you may need to show her birth certificate where you normally wouldn't. And you might spend a lot of time correcting people who call you or her by the wrong last name, but it's ok to give her the father's name, esp if he's planning to be an active part of her life!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Its only going to affect you and her on a personal level, nothing else. I wish I knew where people (like your dad) get the idea that different last names have any bearing on things like health insurance, daycare/school, child support etc.
  • It will not effect insurance or anything like that. My son is 9 his dad has had nothing to do with him since we divorced when he was 2, never has Payed support, or visited, so now I'm going to pay an attorney to get his rights terminated & change his last name. That way my current Bd can adopt him when we marry he's his 'dad' anyways!!
  • Ashleyfew- I'm n process of changing my sons with no consent but its basicly a neglect situation so that's totally different. I live n Texas & even tho he will have no rights to my son he will still be financialy responsible...already $111,000 behind now. The state helps with trying to get child support but had to get a private attorney on name change & abolishing his rights.
  • @mrs_shu I know it wasn't really tru my dads always sayin dumb ish like that!! I think he only.didn't want her to have his last name cuz he's black : /
  • Bd and I didn't get married till 1 1/2 yrs after our son was born. I wanted Evan to have his dad's name knowing we would be married one day in the future. If anything I think it would be a benefit giving a child her fathers last name. Heaven forbid, if things go south with the relationship, I think it would be harder for daddy to back out out of his legal obligations to the baby since he signed his last name to
  • @brendalou very truee!! cuz u never know that could happen : / .. thanks!!
  • My firsts dad has no part and she has my last name well this bd and I aren't married so I'm hyphenating to make sure noone feels left out
  • I'm having the same problem.. only I really don't care a whole ton and it's bd and my mom going at it.. ha. Bd wants him to have his last name and my mom wants me to change my last name to her last name (my parents are divorced) and give the baby her last name. It really doesn't effect a lot.. you'll just have to prove your his mom with birth certificate and stuff for things like school registry and traveling until you marry your bf (if you do) I don't feel like it's a huge deal, my mom thinks it'll be the end of the freakin world! I'm pretty sure I'll marry my bd one day so it's easier if we all have the same name and if not, oh well I'll just have to show a birth certificate every now and then!
  • My son will carry my last name, my boyfriend and I are not married either but he also decided he wants him to have my last name only because he has his moms last name too and feels like he was stolen from his real one (his dads) I honestly don't like his last name much anyway lol so I'm glad he will carry mine :)
  • Hyphenate the last names.... you could do his-yours or your-his with the first one being the 'primary' use...
  • @pawgio thanks for the info! yeaa I guess no biggie just would a liked MY daughter to have my name but I would like to marry my bd so c!! I think our parents r just so stuck to back in their days n think.things r still as hard as they were but their not !
  • @pawgio when it comes to school you actually have to provide birth certificates/ss# and what not regardless of last names. My oldest is 13 and had my last name until I married her step father 3 yrs ago. Its always a p.I.t.a to bring all documentation to the school board when registering AND still have to do it again at the school. Of course with all that you have to have your paperwork, not proving your the mom just that yes you live within the school district at the address you say you do etc. Same thing with travel, its just proving yes the person is the name on the ticket etc.
    @naliibby2 yeah some parents are like that unfortunately :( my father was similar when it came to my oldests bio dad..I always thought it was because he was puerto rican but my dad just could see he was a dbag when I couldn't.
  • We're married but I never changed my last name and never will so Blueberry will have Kelly's last name. I don't care.
  • edited September 2011
    Depending on state you can change babies name with very little hassle if its a big deal to you. I think its 6m in Kansas
    I never changed my lastname and I was having so many problems matching a girl name I liked to my husbands last name so he told me to give her mine. I didn't cause that would be a hassle and annoying to explain to busybodies lol
  • @nalibby2 ya I figure if it really bothers me that bad I can change it in the future, my mom is just super bitter after her divorce with my dad and she thinks all guys are awful and she's all about girl power and stuff lol which is cool, but she takes it a little too far sometimes!
  • Agree with all the other ladies. It doesn't matter really. @blueberrysmom I'm with you, I'm married, haven't changed my name either. Told my hubby I would if he wanted, but instead, my hubby is taking my last name :) he wants us all to have the same one. Lol
  • thanks everyone !
  • thanks everyone !
  • If she is not a year old u can go to court and have it changed. After that it is really hard to change it.
  • I know it's a little late, but I had my dad's last name until I married. I miss my maiden name sometimes. When my mom married my brother's dad, she changed her last name so I would go around telling everyone my three last names even though I only had one. I hear it was cute, lol.
  • @potato funny name && thats funny!! Im thinking bout doing my last name && his
    .its a lil much but only way it would both work!
  • @lilbabythree what state u in??.imma research cali n see.. thanks!