Your baby's name

edited September 2011 in Baby names
I know this topic has been posted before. But, seeing as how a lot of us dont know each other, I figured I'd ask again.

What did you decide to name your baby? What is the meaning of and the reasoning for choosing the name?

My family is spiritually eclectic. With roots in catholicism in addition to some pagan ancestry. Bd's family is protestant and Naitive American...so, we basically picked names that we felt best suited our kids (w/ some sort of spiritual meaning). Our 2-yo boy is Uriah Nathaniel. I love old testament names. So when he was born at 29 weeks, we new he had to be a warrior (uriah was king david's best soldier). Our daughter is Marielle Soleil. She was born in March and her astrological sun sign is Aries (ruled by mars, Mari or Mars is her nickname). Aries is a fire sign, Soleil is french for "sun", and the sun is a big ball of fire. Plus, she was born on a sunny day in march!

Comments

• My daughters name is Janice Catherine..the Janice comes from my husbands aunt who was brutally murdered in a domestic violence situation (alone with her two children) and the Catherine is my mothers middle name.

This one if we have a boy will be Michael Oliver...the Michael is my father who passed away in my arms two years ago and the Oliver is the man who taught my husband everything there is to know about guitar.

If it is a girl she will be Mavis Darnell.... Mavis is from Mavis Staples an old blues singer who is just amazing a powerful, plus we love the name. The Darnell is my middle name, and was also my uncles and grandfather on my fathers side.
  • @garagebandfan oooh, I <3 Mavis, classic-yet-hip!
  • We are naming our daughter Novalee Jessica. Novalee means chasing butterflies. I got it from my all time favorite movie 'Where the Heart Is' . Jessica means God's grace or grace. She is my very best friend since 6th grade and is Novalee's Godmother. So her name all together means chasing butterflies with grace. I adore it.
  • My first son's name is Aiden Lawrence. Aiden was a name that his father and I could agree on. There was no real meaning. It means fiery and he lives up to that name. Lawrence William was my grandfather's name who passed a week before Aiden was born and my grandfather's name was James Lawrence. Originally he was going to be Aiden James, but we changed it to be Aiden Lawrence to be part of both great grandfathers.

My second son is Zephyr Hudsyn. Zephyr means a light breeze. My name is Mariah... We all know they call the wind Mariah. Hudsyn comes from the Hudson River in North Carolina, that's where we were wheb we talked about having another baby.
  • My daughters name will be Sophia makayla ... Sophia is the only name bd and I can agree on I've loved it since I was little and Makayla is my gmas names and she passed away four years ago :( I promised I'd name my daughter after her if I ever had one :)
  • Allyssa Ann:Allyssa because me and the hubbie only girl name we agreed on and Ann bc its family tradition for first born girl to have Ann as middle name she will be the 4th with it
  • We are naming our son Connor Alan. The name Connor just kinda came to us and we really love it. His middle name Alan is his daddy's, my dads, and my brothers middle name and then it's his other grandpas name. :)
  • Carson Alexander because I like it and because nobody would let me name him Kentworth. I'm still a little pissed about that... X(
  • My daughter will be named Emily Meagan. Emily is my maternal grandmothers name and Meagan came about bc I want her initials to be EMC and my neighbor that we consider family name is Meagan so it became a no brainer. Also I would love my daughter to have her personality and energy.
  • We are naming our little girl Makynzi Taylor Penrod idk what the meaning is but we are naming her that because one day we were at one of my mother in laws chemo treatments and my hubby had to go to the bathroom and on the back the lady at the front desk answered the phone and said hi my name is makeinzie and he came back and said I know what I want to name the baby if it is a girl then I said as long as I get to choose the middle name and he said that is fine. Well her middle name came from his dads middle name and it about made him cry because his dad died when he was 17 and once we found out that it was a girl I touched my belly and said hi Makynzi Taylor and that is when I felt her move for the first time.
  • @blueberrysmom whew I am relieved lol. Everytime I saw a post you always called your son blueberry and I was compelled to ask if that was the real name but didn't want you to think I was judgmental. Love blueberry but Carson is even better, lol.
  • @blueberrysmom We loved the name Carson. We wanted to name Zephyr Karsyn, but we live in Carson City and his last name is Carsten. Karsyn Carsten who lives in Carson... Yea, it was a little much.
  • Sirena Var. Sirena means Enchantress Var is the norse goddess of oaths and means Beloved. So she is our beloved enchantress. I call her Bunny
  • edited September 2011
    @nelsbrandon Lol! I know! I'll probably always call him Blueberry...until he begs me to stop. :ar!

@outnumberedbyboys That's awesome! A bit much, but totally awesome!
  • edited September 2011
    My daughters name is going to be naliyah kamira griffin

Naliyah just popped in my head one day when I was looking at names and saw the name aaliyah I was like hey let mr just put a n in front and give it a twist lol...

Kamira my boyfriend picked out and it means peaceful beautiful black primates
  • @sara102011 Where did you find the name Novalee? Its cute for a little girl, but also very pretty for an adult woman. Is 10/20/11 your dd? (10/20 is my birthday....and I love it!)

@outnumberedbyboys LOVE Zephyr! Just might consider stealing it if we have another boy!

@charliebby1116 Every Sophia I've ever met was beautiful inside and out. Its also one of those names that are cute on little girls, but transition well into adulthood.

@darknesofnight4u will you pronounce the "y" in Allysa's name with an "i" or "e" sound?

@vlcmchk13 my mommy-bff just had her second son who she named conor ian. Her first is named colin alexander. Colin and Conor...i just love how cute the names are together! (Just an idea if you have another boy... ;) )

• We are making our daughter aubriana jaide... I like audriana but not the name audrie so I put the two together and his aunt who had been with him thru thick and thin her name is jane so wer picked jaide bc its so close to her name
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @2ndbutfirst I love irish names too! Do you plan on finding out the gender? I always wanted boys just cuz I'm much more personality-equipt to play trucks and dinosaurs than princesses...but my little girl is sooo smiley, chatty and sweet...i'm head-over-heels in love!!!
  • An I all-I-ass I love the ll and the y
  • Thank you: -) its from the movie 'where. The heart is' yes i am due on 10/20. I'm so thrilled to have an october baby!! I'm 36 weeks today so i just want her to stay in a little over a week so she will be an october baby!
  • I have 3 beautiful girls... I always said wen I had daughters I would name them rare names, names I never heard before...
    Alaysia (5) - The Noble Kind. (A-Lay-sha)
    Evanie (2) - God is Gracious. (Ev-uh-nee)
    Zahara (8wks) - Bright, Shining Flower

It so funny most of the time I have to spell out every name when picking up presciptions or when call the drs... lol my bf like that's wat u get for wanting to name them so different... but I love their names nd thy fit them well..
  • @math_mommy They do sound good together! What's funny is we just had someone move next door and her little mans name is Colin and when we told her we were expecting and his name was going to be Connor we were like awe Colin and Connor.
  • My daughter is McKinley Rose. I wanted something different but not off the charts. Mt McKinley is a mountain, and I've always liked the name rose.
  • Liam Gage...my first born is Landen and I wanted to keep the L name...but still keep it original ... And my husband liked the name gage =)
  • Madeline MaryJoy, my mom picked madeline after hubby n I couldn't come up with anything, maryjoy is my Mas name, her first grandchild she loves it
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Emilio Zachary after his dad. He is going to be a Jr. Emilio is Latin meaning Rival;Emulating and Zachary is Hebrew meaning The lord remembers didnt really pick the name based on the name meanings :)
  • we are naming my son Briggam Anthony. Usually spelled Brigham. It's a university in Utah, called Brigham Young. Brigham is a morman founder I think. Not sure because I'm not morman but we love the name. And Anthony is my dad and brothers middle name! (:
  • We named our son and daughter Calvin and jasmine because Calvin is a my hubbys dads middle name and his grandfathers name and jasmine is a name we both wanted our whole lives and when we were discussing names we both said jasmine at the same time lol. :X I love my babies :X