can you answer my ?

edited September 2011 in Postpartum Depression
Can anyone please tell me the symptoms of postpartum depression and that of regular depression?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2011
    The symptoms are the same, only PPD is caused by horomes related to pregnancy vs chemical imbalance or emotional trauma in that of classic depression. Here is some reputable info from the Mayo Clinic's website on PPD.

Baby blues symptoms Signs and symptoms of the baby blues —which last only a few days or weeks —may include:

Mood swings

Anxiety

Sadness

Irritability

Crying

Decreased concentration

Trouble sleeping

Postpartum depression symptoms Postpartum depression may appear to be the baby blues at first —but the signs and symptoms are more intense and longer lasting, eventually interfering with your ability to care for your baby and handle other daily tasks. Postpartum depression symptoms may include:

Loss of appetite

Insomnia

Intense irritability and anger

Overwhelming fatigue

Loss of interest in sex

Lack of joy in life

Feelings of shame, guilt or inadequacy

Severe mood swing

Difficulty bonding with the baby

Withdrawal from family and friends

Thoughts of harming yourself or the baby

Untreated, postpartum depression may last for a year or more.

Postpartum psychosis With postpartum psychosis —a rare condition that typically develops within the first two weeks after delivery —the signs and symptoms are even more severe. Signs and symptoms of postpartum psychosis may include:

Confusion and disorientation

Hallucinations and delusions

Paranoia

Attempts to harm yourself or the baby

When to see a doctor If you're feeling depressed after your baby's birth, you may be reluctant or embarrassed to admit it. But it's important to call your doctor if the signs and symptoms of depression:

Don't fade after two weeks

Are getting worse

Make it hard for you to care for your baby

Make it hard to complete everyday tasks

Include thoughts of harming yourself or your baby

Getting early treatment for postpartum depression can speed your recovery.

If you suspect that you're developing postpartum psychosis, seek medical attention immediately. Don't wait and hope for improvement. Postpartum psychosis may lead to life-threatening thoughts or behaviors.
  • @ashelyfew
    @dreamaria
    Thank you ladies I have some of the symptoms but not all does it matter?
  • edited September 2011
    I would certainly call your OB and be seen. It is treatable and and the info states it can last for a year or more if left untreated. You don't want it to get worse and it's easy to treat. :)
  • Ok thank you does it have to be my OB? I don't have the same insurance anymore