Any mothers test positive for GBS? Super scared!

edited September 2011 in October 2011
My doctor called me after doing a test last week at 36 weeks to test for Group B strep and told me I tested positive! I was told that I have to get an IV of antibiotics as soon as I go into labor, to prevent me from passing it my baby when I deliver him. I'm so nervous about this! Has anyone else tested positive for GBS?

Comments

• I did. I'm not worried about it though, it is nothing serious... They just give you antibiotics and everythings good! :)
  • I have but don't be scared you'll probably get the medicine in time because first time babies take awhile to get here... I'm not worried at all about it just make sure when u go into labor you tell ur nurse right away if your doctor isn't there and they haven't fine through your chart
  • I did! but I wouldn't worry. it's just a bacteria that some women have and some don't. Just be sure if you have any labor signs to go to the hospital as early as possible to get the medication. As long as you get it you are fine. Even if you don't, the possibility of spreading it to your child is pretty rare.... but you still want the meds :)
  • I had it with my son 8.22 11 dont worry just make sure the hospital knows as soon as you get there you need two doses of penicillin before you deliver I only got one baby xame to fast but was fine doc made us stay a extra daay to make sure (this was my first baby and was only at hospital 3 hours before delivery and 10 mins to push
  • I just post a topic about this I am scared just like you I think I found out on Tuesday I had tons of questions I've asked the Dr I also asked the ladies on here. You can go to my previous post if you would like more info from the ladies!
  • I didn't have it with my son but I did have it with my daughter, she is 3 weeks old and perfectly healthy. They just had to give antibiotics during labor
  • Yup, I had my daughter she was 7 lb 13.6 oz and completely healthy! As long as you make it 4 hours before birth for the medicine your baby will be fine..my daughter got two doses before delivery they will just not check you as much until you get the medicine because checking you can get it in your uterus n get baby sick
  • I did! Its nothing to worry about! My doctor didn't even call and tell me, I called 3 weeks after (because I forgot everytime I was there) and they were like "oh yeah, its positive..... bye!" Lol so I wouldn't worry at all! As long as you get the antibiotics during labor you and the baby will be fine and they do make you stay at the hospital an extra day but its just make sure the baby isn't showing signs of it! :)
  • Not a big deal...get the antibiotics during and after labor and you're good :)
  • Thanks ladies! Reading your comments made me feel so much better! Hopefully my baby doesn't decide to come during rush hour because I live in LA and the 405 freeway is the only way to the hospital takes about 1 hour with little traffic and 3 hours with "normal traffic". lol I was also wondering about getting another yeast infection after taking the antibiotics, because I have one right now that's pretty bad. Will it get worse after the taking the antibiotics? I've had yeast infections for most of my pregnancy it doesn't seem to ever go away even after treating it.
  • I did too. I had my daughter at 36/4 (she is 6days,old now :) ) they just gave me 2 doses of penicillian while I was in labor. No biggy at all.
  • I did with my last baby but not this one and they are still doing to give me the iv just in case.
  • I did and when I went into labor they just gave me an iv every few hours with antibiotics. I ended up having a csection but baby is fine!