is the epidural worth it?

edited February 2011 in Giving birth
Does the epidural hurt when there giving it to u?

Comments

• Mine didn't. They gave me a shot first to numb the area it was placed in.
  • Mine didnt hurt either time I got it. I was more focused on the pain from the contractions at the time.
  • Mine didn't. He took his time and waited during contractions :) it took 15 mins but felt nothing!
  • I hate hate hate needles but I was in so much pain I didn't feel it. It's so worth it just think if the contractions hurt really bad just think if how trying to push the baby will feel. I had tearing and had to be cut couldn't imagine what that would have felt like with out getting a epidural
  • Honey it saved my hubbys life. Lol
  • To me no I have two kids either way u still feel it wen u push the baby out. I also heard that later it gives u back pain
  • I'm terrified of the side effects of epidural I'm getting iv meds and walking once springs here and just going for it
  • I didn't feel my epidural.
  • So so SOOO worth it! All you feel is a tiny pinch and then greatness from the waist down. It will make your labor and delivery way more enjoyable.
  • I didn't have back pains from it. They gave me a epidural with my second but I never got the drugs that birth didn't hurt but my son was 7 weeks early. I tried with both to go as long as u could with out it so I could walk
  • I had an epidural with my first. I didn't really feel it, even though they were kinda "digging" for it. Mine didn't work, though. I still felt my contractions, and dr was amazed i was moving my legs around, said i shouldn't be able to. My second was natural, and hurt less.
  • What are the possible side effects of an epidural?
  • Numbness, tingling, back pain, nausea, vomiting, headaches, low risk of more serious side effects.
  • There are a lot of pros and cons with epidurals and goos for you for being concerned and asking questions! Most hospitals and birthing centers offer classes about labor and delivery. Really consider taking that class because they will explain all types of labor plans including natural and types of epidurals and explains them in depth. I was even able to meet the guy who gave me my partial epidural. And by the way when you're in labor you would do anything to stop the contractions.
  • Didn't hurt at all and was BRILLIANT I slept through labour lol
  • U feel a pinch and then pressure I'm terrified of needles but will b doin it again all I felt was her head and shoulders comin out
  • I had iv meds b4 they gave me an epidural cause there were a few people he had 2 do first cause I asked so late 4 it I loved the epidural I didnt feel the baby come out at all the iv meds they gave me I still felt everything I was just 2 druged 2 complain about it or even show that I was still n pain.
  • Does it hurt when there giving u tho shot?, soesnt it go into ur spine.?
  • You just feel a burning stinging sensation but isn't worth it the pain after you have a baby is agonizing your back will hurt baaaad @new_mama2011
  • i have had 2 and had no problems at all it stung just a little bit but that was it and i never had problems with my back after
  • I never had any problems with mine. Once it was out I was up within 2 hrs and only had pain that is to be expected from the delivery...which for me actually was not that bad at all thankfully!
  • Im gonna try to do it without,, idk just a little scared
  • I never had any problem after just pain from stitches cause my doctor cut me.
  • I had one with my first born and when I started to push it wore off I felt the pain and my daughter tore me and I felt that and 9 yrs later I still have back pains even tho it wore off but with this baby I will make sure it does not happen again a second time
  • edited February 2011
    Not sure if state side its different but UK they sterilized your back, give you a local anesthetic thing when they do it then they put the needle in to your spine :) I didn't have any pains after it or nothing but it is one of the risks. You also have to be REALLY still when it goes in xx
  • I had my 1 st two kids natural wasn't really that bad. They gave me stedal and I slept up until It was time to give birth. I'm going natural again this time around!!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.