How do i get the point across?

edited September 2011 in Baby names
Sophia was born Sept. 14 (11 days ago). and so far all of 2 people have called her by her actual name. I love her name. That's why she has her name. But for the love of God, SERIOUSLY- HER NAME IS SOPHIA! I Am getting rather pissed that people are calling her Sophie. Yes I realize that I am flipping a wig about her name and all of one letter. I am so irritated. My MIL flat out said "well, I am going to call her Sophie- I like that better so that's what I will call her." WTF?! that's not her name.
I have CLEARLY stated that I want her to have HER name, and for her to know her name- Sophia. A nickname is fine. Or occasionally calling her Soph or Sophie is ok (in my head i am thinking *not really...but it's bound to happen, right?*) so how can I tell them in a more firm, but respectful manner that her name is Sophia? I feel like no one is freakin listening and it's really pissing me off. X(

Comments

• Start calling everyone that calls her sophie and refuses to call her sophia by the wrong name until they ask why say well you seem to think it's ok to call sophia by the wrong name so it must be ok for you too
  • I have no idea but my cousin is Sophia also and we call her Pia (Pee-ah) but good luck... :D
  • My MIL would call my 3 year old Bríanna (Bri-anna) when her name is actually pronounced Bri-aunna. It was VERY irritating.. Good thing we haven't talked to her in a year. Over it!
  • Junebuggbabie85 has a good idea lol

@fate our 3 year old is gianna (gee-onna) and my mother and his grandma can't seem to "get it" they pronounce it "gee-ann-ah" lol

@survivormommie3 my name is christine but some family members constantly call me christina. It doesn't bother me
  • I would definitely call someone out on it. Even if she doesnt like it, Sophia is her name. The name that YOU picked out for YOUR daughter. And if someone asks to hold 'Sophie' or asks for pictures... be like, 'I dont know who Sophie is....Weird... I have a Sophia!' lol :)
  • My 3 yr olds name is Wylie and we have one grandpa that calls him Willy and another that calls him Wally. We've always tried to correct them. It finally took for him to grow old enough for it to bug him and yell at them himself.
  • just tell them you want her to learn her real name before people call her by sometihing else.. lol.. my sons name is Benn and alot of people call him Benjamen .. and always ask .. i said his name is Benn if it were Benjemen i would have to you that in the first place.. lol.. my first sons name is Jacob and alot of people call him Jakey.. hahah.. that one i hate .. i dont know why.. jacob or jake is fine.. lol.. i know what your saying.. but usually its just a term of indearment.. and people are trying to establish that one thing that makes them different from the other grandparent or aunt or whatever.. i just gave up.. lol.. but.. with Benn i wont cause i dont like Benjamen its too formal and not his name.. good luck though
  • My son Christopher, WHO IS A CHRISTOPHER, is always called Chris by one of my good friends. (She's know him since he was 4, for crying out load!) After many subtle reminders, finally in a large group of people I loudly said HIS NAME IS CHRISTOPHER. HE DOESN'T LIKE CHRIS! (He's now 8). She finally got the point.
  • Everyone calls my daughter Maya.. her name is Mia. She's only three weeks old, so it doesn't really bother me yet, I just nicely correct them, but if it keeps up, I'm def gonna get really irritated.. good luck mama!