winter babies and school age children

edited September 2011 in Second pregnancy
Baby Livy is due in November and my son is in the second grade. Since I drop him off and pick him up from school I will have to start taking her out in the cold pretty early. Since he is still young I have to get out of the car and pick him up at the door. Obviously this is a problem bc I'm not gonna take her out in the cold and I'm not going to leave her in the car alone. So I'm thinking about asking the teacher if I can park in the same spot every day right by his classroom if he can just come to the car. Anyone else have this dilemma and how did u solve the issue? Or anyone else have any other ideas?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    I have this dilemma also and its a long private drive up to school. I've already spoken to the headmistress about gaining access to the top (it is gated off for vehicle access in three different places) for the very same reason. Asked her if its possible to get a temp key for the locks and I would only use it when necessary i.e. extremely cold/snowy/icy weather. Well, the reply I received was "if I make an exception for u, I'd have to for all the other mums" really??!! I would probably literally have taken advantage of it say 5 times, just while its tiny and on extreme weather days! I hope that your school is more understanding!!! Fingers crossed x
  • I'm glad I don't have to get off to get my son he's in kindergarten. It has always been drive up and They put your kid in your car
  • I thought I would have that problem, but the school is being very understanding. They have four moms due in october or november so they have things in place for us.
  • So glad the bus picks up my kid, lol. I know it would be a pain to set up and take down but maybe put her infant carseat on the stroller and then you can toss a blanket over it, so she's protected from the air? They sell really nice heavy coat sleepers, with a spot to put her carseat strap through so she's already bundled up before you get out of the car.
  • My son is going to preschool and the bus comes to the driveway.
  • I had the same prob... so I switched schs my son is in the 2nd grade & my bby girl is due in Nov as well & now he goes to sch directly across the street frm our house... so he teacher walks him to the cross guard & I meet him... hopefully something will wrk for yu
  • @redhead25 I also has a son that is in second grade a@nd another son thats due in December.my son attends catholic school n his school has the car number rule.so they bring em out to my car.maybe ask if someone could bring him out.
  • **typo**have*
  • I did wen my sec was born.. I just wore my baby.. And bundled him up so he would stay warm and coverd so hes be sheilded from people lol..
  • edited September 2011
    Aww my kids too are in school and im due in december but in hawaii it doesn't get cold lol. But at our kids school there is drop off area and someone walks the kids to an area with their grade level where they all wait for the bell and pledge allegiance to the flag. Then all the kids walk in line by grade. Very organized lol
  • edited September 2011
    You ladies are lucky except @jennys3rd which I would tell them that's fine make an exception for all the moms with newborns in the winter. @myheartzx3 thanks for rubbing it in my face that it doesn't get cold there lol. It's not uncommon to have bitter cold -20 with the windchill sometimes worse so taking her out in that is not an option.
  • @redhead25 If they can't make any exceptions, I highly recommend the covers that go over the carseats. My son was born in Idaho during January...it's bitter cold and the wind is just bitter and invading. I could leave him in his carseat with an extra blanket and he would be completely covered up. Good luck!
  • Ask if another mom is willing to walk him to u or a teacher..
  • Have him go straight to the office after school then pick him up there.. that's what I have to do with my little sister tmrw.. she's in 2nd grade too except my baby isn't born yet I just can't fit through the tiny bus gate that they make parents go through -_- my tummy is too big .