can a infant have adhd/add or autism and what r some signs?

edited October 2011 in First time moms
my baby is 2 months and he crys when not being held he cant sit for a long period of time without bussing out crying and he dosnt look at u for a more than a few sec or a min or so im worried is something wrong with my baby?

Comments

• I had same fears.. My boy only smiles at the sofa when he is placed on it..he rarely smiles at me. They are still too little tho to really say there is a problem.
  • He's way too little to worry about it. Infants can barely see past their faces and I don't think first smiles happen until closer to four months. Plus, they LOVE to be held! You can bring it up at your first pediatrician appt, but the signs of autism don't really show up until closer to 18 months. (Which is why it often gets blamed on vaccines.)
  • @Jaime77 how old is your baby. Mine will be 6 weeks this Thursday and very rarely smiles as well.
    @mommy2b88. I'm having the same fear. My little Guy only really focuses on me the longest when I'm nursing him. However, when he hears a familiar voice (mine, daddy's, siblings) he will look towards it.
  • edited October 2011
    @laura536 Babies smile much sooner than 4months. It seems my 3 other babies started truly smiling between 4-6 weeks. They should start cooing around 2 months.
  • It's too early to tell. Right now, he's just a baby. All that is normal. My oldest was like that. Not a big deal.
  • you are right @shae! I was confused. My little girl was such a serious baby, I couldn't get her to smile for anything, lol!
  • Your baby is fine, he's just a baby :) don't worry about it. They don't. Diagnose kids until a later age
  • @laura536. Maybe that's my little guys deal too. He seems so serious all the time. I have noticed little smiles at his sister and her friends from him. Lol. He's already noticing cute girls. Haha
  • Here is a page with signs for early diagnosis, but even they don't start until 6 months.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/autism_signs_symptoms.htm