Please help: Nubain or Fentanyl

edited October 2011 in Labor
My contractions are 9 min apart. I will be heading in to hospital soon. Those are my choices of pain meds. Im trying to avoid an epi. Had Demerol with my 1st and it was horrible. Please tell me ur experiences.
Thanks ladies

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I'd go with nubain. I had it and was fine. Fentanyl with knock you out. It's 10 times stronger than demerol.
  • And good luck!
  • @DreaMaria did u feel u were able to participate effectively? Demerol had me too high. I've actually administered Nubain to patients but not the others. Problem is they were surgical patients and not much seems to help the except dilaudid.
  • Yes, I had no issues. I could tell I was I'm something, but not like fentanyl and not like dilaudid would make you feel. It was just enough. I still felt my contractions, it just took the edge off.
  • @DreaMaria one last question. Did baby need Narcan?
  • No, no narcan. She was perfectly alert and no problem with her APGAR. I would start with nubain and see how you feel. It might not cover your pain enough, but it will be a good place to start. Please tag me with updates! Good luck!
  • I had nubain. I liked it. I'm going to have it again. I ended up getting an epi but I was in labor for days so by the time I was close to delivering I just gave up. I wanted the pain to stop. I don't want an epi with this baby
  • Nubain. Fentanyl is harder on both mom and baby.
  • i had a sleepy baby with fentinal.. ill never do it agian.. id rather have and epi.. than live through that fear again..