Lost Job Because Boss Found Out I Was Pregnant

edited February 2011 in Pregnant
Okay so I lost my job when my boss found out I was pregnant and he didn't care and just laughed when they told me =[ and now I have no way to support my baby and me I'm already paying for medical bills up the butt and money is running out I have no idea what to do.. Does anyone know of any place that can help me with finding a job or anything along that line

Comments

• You can't fire someone because they're pregnant. It's against the law. I would report him
  • get on Medicaid
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would contact the labor broad for your state that is dicrimination and i would also got get on medicaid in most states it goes back 3 months from the the time you file
  • I would report him and sue that company my dear but do all your research first like get ur handbook fromur job look up the law and use what you got a paper trail and figure it out girl prayers are with you hope it all works out
  • Yeah....file a lawsuit ...that will get you money...collect Unemployment in the mean time. There's no way they can do that
  • I would sue the heck out of them....and apply for gov't assistance. Good luck.
  • Under 15 employees should only mean they don't need to hold your place on maternity leave...they shouldn't be able to fire you for it.
  • Thats against the law! You can not fire someone simply because they are pregnant! I would contact a lawyer asap, find one who deals with that stuff. You probably will not get hired at a new job because your pregnant. Getting fired for being pregnant is illegal but not getting hired is not.....def look into a law suit, or maybe you could scare your old boss into getting your job back, if you would rather just work cause you need money now.....look into unemployment for the time being, it takes about 3 weeks to start getting money so apply now....good luck
  • Call an attorney, that is so illegal.
  • Were you a stripper or something? Lol. I can't think of any other job that would fire an employee for being pregnant. Even hooters let's their girls still work when they're pregnant.
  • Thanks everyone =] and whatever you do never work at BIG LOTS
  • @ashabash lol nope they dont even fire you! Girl on tyra banks show was 8 months and still worked at the bunny ranch.
  • @ashabash lmao def not I worked at a biglots and it was in a bad part of chicago I actually when I worked there around christmas a guy came in with a gun towards me
  • @uncaffeinated_katie ya I hope I can get a lawyer that I don't have to pay unless I get paid
  • edited February 2011
    Big lots is a corporation. They need to follow the law. Just bc there's only 15 employees in the store doesn't me Jack sh!t. They are corpo and have thousands of employees. That law applies to privately owned businesses like mom and pop shops etc..
  • Yep I agree with the folks who said it's not legal. It's worth your time to look into the laws your company has to comply with depending on the industry and the size of the business. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this.
  • ...did you work at big lots?!
  • @mommy2be92 wow its probably a good thing that you don't work there anymore then, you wouldn't want to put you and your baby in danger
  • You shouldnt have a problem finding one who only charges when you win your case...good luck
  • @Mama_Kat yes I'm in chi. And I def wouldn't mind chicago is a lot to handle with drama and stress for the baby like I've seen 5 ppl killed in the past month on my street its horrible =[ but now that I don't have a job would I still be able to get one?
  • @katlilly yes I worked at biglots
  • You Need to sue.thats discrimination and violating the eoe act.
  • Ok...so they absolutely cannot fire you for that. Corporations need to follow those laws 100% to the t. What reason did they give you for termination?! That Guy is the one who will be fired.