swaddling. what are your thoughts?

edited October 2011 in Sleep
Do you swaddle your baby at night? I find if I don't, she doesn't sleep for more than 20 minutes. With swaddling she sleeps up to 3 hrs! But I've read that u shouldn't swaddle. I did it with my first but with a new baby everythings changed about what you should and shouldn't do

Comments

• I swaddle my daughter and she's almost 4 mo. If its with a blanket she kicks loose, so we have one with a zipper and velcro to keep her snug. She sleeps better/longer this way!
  • bump. anyone else?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I read (in pamphlet from health nurse) that it increases risk of sids by possibly overheating or having the blanket come free and smother them.
  • When I nannied the baby I watched wouldn't sleep unless swaddled. So from newborn up to 6 months at least she was swaddled.
  • My baby is swaddled like 80 percent of the day! Baby daddy swaddled her so well everyday that she loves it and is always always swaddled. I havent heard anything about it being a risk and I took a sids class. Lol
  • I say if it helps baby stay comfortable and sleep right do what you gotta do. I could see the slight risk there but there are swaddlers that use Velcro to keep it secure. My baby hates being bundled up. She sleeps with her arms and legs stretched out lol
  • I used to swaddle my son and he's been a fantastic sleeper since birth so I will be doing it with this baby boy to
  • My son must,be the odd ball. He hates it lol
    So no I havent swaddled since we left the hospital
  • edited October 2011
    Mine loved it the first week, then freaked out after that. She is now in sleep sacks at night. My little sister wanted to be swaddled for months I remember (she is 12 years younger than me) so I agree every baby is different!
  • The rules to sids change all the time. I was advised while in hospital with my son to swaddle and will do so again with my daughter if she likes it. I always used thin muslin wraps so if bubs did get it over his face it wouldnt be an issue and dressed him warm so he didn't need extra blankets
  • I swaddled mine for the first few days but don't anymore. Only if she cries for a while. She seems to sleep fine both ways.
  • If u were concerned about the blanket coming loose the swaddlers hav velcrow. My baby sleeps ok either way he's not particular as long as he's covered up. But my nurse while I was in the hospital said that our hospital ist gona swaddle babies anymore cuz they took a class an learnd that swaddling causes hip displaysia as the child gets older, but the swaddler I has is loose in the leg area an just wraps snug around the arms.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My son is 5 months and still swaddled. I leave his arms free, he likes it that way.